PENDEEN is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1845 [1846], from the parish of St. Just-in-Penwith, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1852 from the designs and under the superintendence of the Rev. Robert Aitken, at a cost of about £2,000, is a cruciform building of granite in the Early English style, modelled on the plan of the ancient cathedral of Iona, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, and a tower containing 1 bell: there are 20 windows in the church, all of which are stained: on the north side of the chancel is a handsome marble tablet to the children and grandchildren of the late vicar, the Rev. Robert Aitken. The church contains 500 sittings, all of which are free. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £165, in the gift of Mrs. Aitken, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Charles Edwin Meeres B.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians. The Rev. William Borlase D.C.L., F.R.S. author of the “Natural History and Antiquities of Cornwall,” was born at the old manor house of Pendeen, February 2nd, 1695; and in honor of him the parish is named; he was vicar of Ludgvan from 1732 and died there 31st August, 1772. The principal landowners are Viscount Falmouth, and John Borlase esq. Mrs. Scobell and Thomas Robyns esq. The population in 1881 was 2,311.

Parish Clerk, James Hosking.

Post Office.—William Oats White, sub-postmaster. Letters through Penzance arrive at 12.25 p.m.; dispatched 1.10 p.m. St. Just is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Insurance Agent:—

Sun Fire, E. White

National School (mixed), John Toman, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Toman, Mistress

Omnibuses to Penzance.—William Williams & James Henry Williams, daily

Meeres Rev. Charles Edwin B.A. [vicar], Vicarage

Roe Rev. Samuel Henry Farwell [curate]

Trezise Mrs. Trewellard house

White Richard, Trewellard


Allis James, farmer, Boscaswell

Angwin Charles, shopkeeper, Botallack

Bennetts Wm. shoe maker, Trewellard

Boase Peter, farmer & carman, Carnyorth

Bolitho Walter (Mrs.), farmer, Carnyorth

Chirgwin Ralph W. & Co. grocers, Trewellard

Dennis Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Carnyorth

Eddy Richard, shoe maker, Trewellard

Eddy Thomas, shoe maker, Boscaswell

Edwards Edward, North inn, Trewellard

Edwards Martin, farmer, Bojewyan

Edwards Matthew, grocer, Boscaswell

Gartrell Richard, farmer, Keigwin

Grenfell Thos. beer retailer, Trewellard

Guy John, farmer

Hosking Uter, wheelwright, Trewellard

James Arthur, farmer, Botallack

James Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Trewellard

Levant Mine (tin & copper) (Richard White, purser), Trewellard

Maddren William, Boscaswell inn

Murrish William, farmer, Trewellard

North Levant Mine (Richard Boyns, purser), Bank, St. Just-in-Penwith

Penrose William, farmer, Bojewyan

Quick James, Richd. surgeon, Trewellard

Rodda Joseph Shakerley, grocer & draper, Boscaswell

Semmens James, farmer, Trewellard

Stephens William, farmer, Bojewyan

Trembath Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Bojewyan

Trezise James, farmer, Carnyorth

Veale Samuel, Queen’s Arms, & farmer, Carrarrack

Warren Nicholas, blacksmith & farmer, Portheras

Warren Nicholas, jun. farmer, Chyrose

Warren Richard, grocer, Trewellard

Warren Thomas, farmer, Carlartha

Watters Thomas, farmer, Carlatha

Wearne Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Portheras

White Nathan, mine agent, Trewellard

White Nicholas, farmer, Trewellard

White Richd. grocer & draper, Bojewyan

White Richard, purser of Levant mines, Trewellard

Williams Richard, farmer, Portheras

Williams William, farmer & bus proprietor, Trewellard

White William Oats, postmaster

More about St. Just in Penwith

More from Kelly’s 1883