George Clement Boase 1829–1897

William Borlase 1695–1772

William Bottrell 1816–81

[Off Site] Branwell [link broken] —the maternal ancestors of the Brontë sisters.

John Henry Brodribb aka Sir Henry Irving 1838—1905

Richard Quiller-Couch 1816–63

Humphry Davy 1778–1829

Thomasin Dennis 1771–?

Odiarne Coates Lane 1793–1865

Edward Hain 1851–1917

[Off Site]Edmund Eardley Gordon Heywood 1877–1950. Diary of 1894–95 transcribed by Kathryn Baird.

William Lovett 1800–?

William Oliver 1695–1764

Percy Lane Oliver 1878–1944

Dolly Pentreath 1676–1778

John Ralfs 1807–90

[Off Site]James Stevens of Zennor & Sancreed Diary of 1877 & 1892–1912 transcribed by Anne Head.

John Tregerthen Short 1785–1873

Jonathan Toup 1713–85

Odiarne Coates Lane 1793–1865

(Mayor of Bristol, 1861)

O. C. Lane was born about 1793 (baptised 26 Nov in St. Ives, son of Thomas and Elizabeth). He married Mary Elizabeth S. Tremayne[?] from St. Mary's, Isles of Scilly and moved to Bristol c1835 having been in Hereford prior to that date, and had at least 7 children, all sons, and two named Odiarne after him. He invested in property for rent. He became Mayor of Bristol in 1860. He was elected Warden of the Society of Merchant Venturers in 1863 and Master in 1864. He died in Clifton late in 1865[? unless it was the younger son?].

William Oliver 1695–1764

William Oliver was a physician reputedly a native of Ludgvan, b 4 Aug 1695 son of John and Mary Oliver from Sithney. He graduated from Pembroke Collage, Cambridge in 1720 and completed his studies in Leyden. Returning to England, he took his M.D. at Cambridge in 1725 and was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1729. A pioneer of smallpox inoculation in Plymouth, he went to Bath with William Borlase in 1730 (some biographies say Walter, it is possible they were both there) and became the principle physician treating people with the famous waters. With Ralph Allen, John Wood and Richard “Beau” Nash he founded the Bath General Hospital and was elected its physician in 1740. He wrote an essay on the gout in 1751 but otherwise did not leave many case notes. He died in 1764 and is buried in All Saints, Weston [-Super-Mare*]. He is also credited with the invention of “Bath Oliver” biscuits (1750?), leaving the recipe to his coachman, Mr. Atkins, who went on to make his fortune with them. The Bath Bun is also attributed to Dr. Oliver.

* This is certainly incorrect as John Crockford-Hawley, historian of that church, informs me that it was not consecrated until 1901 and there is no burial ground. We are speculating that the correct location is All Saints, Weston, nr. Bath.

Percy Lane Oliver 1878–1944

(Pioneer of the Blood Donor & Transfusion Service)

[Posted to CORNISH-L on 28 Apr 2002 by Blanche Charles]

Percy Lane OLIVER was born at St Ives, Cornwall, the son of Edward & Jane OLIVER. His parents removed to Peckham in the early 1880s where his father was a schoolmaster. He was a founder member of the Camberwell Division of the Red Cross, and started the first blood donor panel in 1921. By the outbreak of World War II he had created a blood transfusion network covering the whole of the United Kingdom. He died at Peckham Rye. (Sq 34 [18064] Headstone / curbs)

William Lovett 1800–?

[Posted to CORNISH-L on 14 Aug 2003 by George Pritchard]

William Lovett the Chartist who was born in Newlyn in 1800. His father, a ship’s captain from Yorkshire, was drowned before his birth leaving his Cornish mother to bring him up. She was a strict Methodist and William was brought up in that faith. William and his mother were helped financially by her brother who was a rope maker. When William was about seven years old his uncle died, leaving his mother to bring up William unaided. They moved into one of the thatched cottages on Church Lane with her mother and in order to make ends meet she went out to sell fish. 1

William was sent too one of the Dame Schools where he learned to read and write and in due course he was apprenticed to his uncle’s trade of rope making. As the Napoleonic War came to an end the need for rope was declining. The use of chains and cables was growing as their production became cheaper. William found himself in the position of having to take his employer to law in order to get his wages. He won his case and persuaded his employer to release him from the remainder of his indenture in order that he could accept an offer from his great-uncle of a job on his fishing boat. His career as a Newlyn fisherman came to a speedy end when he realized that he suffered from seasickness when the weather was rough. Seasickness was about to change his whole life and the political face of Britain.

Luckily William had a natural aptitude as a woodworker and had taught himself the craft of cabinet making in his spare time. He found a new home for his grandmother and he and his mother left Newlyn and made their way to London in 1821. At first he could only find work in non-society carpenters shops as he was not a time served craftsman. However, he so impressed that he was allowed to join the closely organized Cabinetmakers Society and actually became its president. He met and married his wife Mary Solly in 1826 and they both got involved in radical politics. As well as being the man who wrote the charter that became the basis of the ‘Chartist’ movement. He could be described as one of the founders of what eventually became the Trade Union movement.

1. The cottages were later demolished to make way for the building of the Primitive Methodist Chapel.

Chartist Portraits by G.D.H.Cole Published by Macmillan 1941.

George Clement Boase 1829–1897

[From a letter from Ann Prendergast 4 May 2004]

Boase and his brother, Edward Ley, arrived in Melbourne in 1854 and the following year George Clement moved to the Murrumbidgee River in NSW where he was appointed tutor to the children of Thomas Darchy at “Gelam” and then “Oxley” Stations. Boase remained with the Darchy family until 1864 and during that time he was employed as correspondent to the Sydney Morning Herald, writing articles under the heading “Lower Murrumbidge” and “Lower Lachlan.”

Boase returned to England in 1864 and lived in London. He must have kept in contact with the Darchy family because when Michael, one of the sons of Thomas, went to England in 1875, Mr Boase met him and they travelled on the continent together.

Historical Manuscripts Commission. UK National Register of Archives:
George Clement Boase (1829-1897) 1845-1894: letters (57) to him British Library Manuscript Collection Reference: Add MS35073