The following description is quoted from [Tonkin 1739] and must be read in the context of that date. The extract is taken from [Polsue 1868]. Other extracts are available online.
This parish is of large extent, and the land generally good, and lying very warm on the south sea, which, with the desire of living quiet, has induced several gentlemen to settle themselves in this remote corner of the kingdom, where they may liberally entertain all such as out of curiosity come to visit the Land’s End.
Mr. Francis Paynter was brother to Dr. William Paynter, Rector of Exeter College, Oxford, (elected in 1690, died Feb. 19 ,1715; aged 80, was rector of Wotton in Northamptonshire, where he is buried.) both younger brothers to Mr. Paynter of Trelissick’s father, who by his skill in husbandry, in which he has scarce his fellow, not his superior in the county, and some helps of the law, has purchased to himself a very fair younger brother’s inheritance. Though this place lies near the sea, and very much exposed, yet has this gentleman, by the means of furze ricks and other ingenious contrivances, raised several fair walks of trees about it, and made it a pleasant and profitable seat, which I mention here, that those who live under the same inconveniencies may imitate his industry. At Leigha liveth Mr. Oliver Ustick, married to Julia the eldest of two daughters of Roscrow of Penryn, of the family of Roscrows of Rosorow. Leigha is part of the manor of Rosemodris, now the property of Mr. Grosse.
Boscawen-rose, in this parish, gave name and habitation to the famous and honourable family of Boscawen, who, led away, as many other Cornish gentlemen have been, by the similarity of sound between words in the Kernawish tongue and others in French or in Latin, have mistaken rose a valley, for the flower a rose; and more anciently they are said to have borne in their arms, besides a rose, an ox, having mistaken the word bos, which signifies a house or dwelling, for the name of that animal.
More about St. Buryan