This list has been compiled from various sources including
[Polsue, 1892], Index of
Clergy, a card index by Mrs. J. S. Rolfe, extracted from
LDS film 1472028/4 by Michelle Kahler and posted to CORNISH-L
August 1999 and [Burt, 2003].
- Richard de Bello Prato or Beauprè,
- [Burt thinks that there may have been two of this name, one in 1297 and one in 1303] who died January 3, 1333-4 [Rolfe: 1323/4], when
- Henry Marsley
- was instituted vicar, Ecclesiæ Sci. Justi in Penwith in
Cornubiâ, April 20, 1334, on the presentation of
Sir Richard de Campo Arnulphi, Knt. [Champernowne], by reason
of the, minority of John, son and heir of Sir Ralph De Bello
Pratto, Knt., deceased.
- Walter [Rolfe: William] Bottreaux
- D.C.L. was collated by John de Grandisson, bishop of
Exeter, to the parish church, que tanto tempore vacavit, Nov. 12, 1340.
He was a non-resident vicar, a scholar at Oxford.
- Richard of S. Austle or Reginald de Austold,
instituted May 27, 1349. Patron, Sir John Beauprè, Knt.
In bishop Grandisson’s Register is the deed of
appropriation of this parish church to the Provost and
Chapter of S. Thomas the martyr at Glasney. Sir John
Beauprè, and his wife Margaret had offered to convey all
their interest in the living to this ecclesiastical
community. The above named bishop accepted the offer and
confirmed the grant at Exeter, April 15, 1355, and Sir John
Beauprè, affixed his seal to the instrument in manerio meo de
Lanesely, May 1, 1355; but it was not to take effect
until the cession or death of the actual incumbent, Richard
of S. Austle.
- Sir John Carbons,
- admitted October 8, 1365, on the presentation, for the
first time, by the Provost and Chapter of Glasney.
- Sir William [Clerk?],
- Possible the same man as below, recorded in 1383
- Sir John Clerk,
- 1366? He exchanged for S. Euny juxta Lanante, with
- Thomas de Lamanvâ
- Sep. 25, 1393 [Rolfe: 1398]. Patrons, Provost and Chapter
- Henry Byry or Drury,
- recorded in 1410 in a subsidy roll [Rolfe: 1425/6]
- Nicholas Harry,
- 1425. on whose death
- Sir John Cunegy
- was admitted June 19, 1427. Patrons, Provost and Chapter of
- Sir Ralph Bronwone,
- instituted 28 Feb 1448
- Sir Richard Bahon,
- instituted 10 Feb 1452, on whose death
- John Raffe
- was admitted October 27, 1479. Patrons, Provost and Chapter
- Sir John Luky,
- on whose death
[Rolfe omits the previous two and has.
- Richard Bagaoue
- Benedict Tregoos
- was admitted May 15, 1492. Patrons, Provost and Chapter of
- William Trelect, or
- 1530 and certainly by 1536. on whose death
- Thomas Vivyan,
- Junior, was admitted Feb. 15, 1547. Patrons, Pro hâc unciâ
vice, Thomas Vivyan, Clerk, and John Vivyan, Jun., by
virtue of a grant of the next presentation formerly made by the
Provost and Chapter of Glasney.
- Bennet or Benedict Lathon,
- a native of St. Just, admitted by James Tuberville, bishop
of Exeter, May 18, 1557, on the cession of the last incumbent.
Patrons, Philip and Mary. On the death of this vicar,
- Sir William Drake
- the Father was instituted April 4, 1582 Patron, Queen Elizabeth.
- William Drake
- the Son. 12 Feb 1612. Patron James I. On whose
death March 30, 1636,
- Amos Mason
- was instituted 6 Jan 1637, Patron Charles I. On his death, June 2, 1678,
- James Millett
- was admitted July 18, 1678. Patron, Charles II.
In the parish register, under the date 1732, it is stated that
this vicar was buried April 20, aged 85, in the 54th year of his
incumbency, and was succeeded by William second son of John
Borlase, Esq., of Pendeen, rector of Ludgvan. Mr. Millett wrote
all the entries in the register, in a good clear hand, to the
close, of 1731, within a few months of his death, and showed but
little marks of age.
- William Borlase
- was admitted May 22, 1732; Patron, George II. On the death
of this vicar,
- [Rolfe has Vingoer
- 1763 but it doesn't seem to fit]
- George Pender Scobell
- succeeded Nov. 2, 1772. Patron George III. On whose
- Thomas Nankivel
- was instituted July 29, 1814. Patron George III
- Nicholas John Buller
- was admitted Nov. 14, 1825, on the presentation of George
- Nicholas Tressider
- Possibly a curate 1830.
- Joseph Leopold Longmire
- George Cornelius Gorham
was admitted February 6, 1846. Patron the Lord Chancellor.
George Cornelius Gorham was Vicar of St. Just
1846–1850. This picture was marked May 18, 1850 [thanks
to Andrew Burt for supplying this]
- Joseph Lowther Hodgson
- Possibly curate, 1847.
- William Sprainger White,
- admitted in 1850; he was son in law to Lord Campbell, the
then Lord Chancellor.
- George Hadow,
admitted in 1855, patron the Lord Chancellor. He was the son
of George and Margaret Hadow of the HEICS Madras, born in
Madras in 1817, the same year and the same place of birth as
his wife Frances (Fanny) Theophila, daughter of John Gwatkin
of Gwennap. Their fathers had very similar and distinguished
Civil Service careers and all travelled home from India on
the same ship. George was was at Balliol College, Oxford (Matric 1835, BA
1839, MA 1849 or 1852) and was ordained in 1840. Curate at Everley,
Wilts, 1846–49; St Andrews Plymouth 1849–55; St Just
1855–66; Tiverton 1866 onwards. In Tiverton he was a member
of the School Board, Governor of Blundells School, Chairman
of Tiverton Infirmary Committee. He was total abstainer and
involved in the Tiverton Coffee House Company. He had to
resign his living owing to ill health and died in 1892. His
son was John Lovell Gwatkin Hadow (1844–1927), who became
vicar of Aldershot and Sutton Valence, and there was more than one
daughter, including Isabella. [largely extracted from
“The Reynolds Connection” by Richard Aylmer
On his removal to
Tiverton, the Rev.
George Hadow was Vicar of St. Just 1855–66. [thanks
to Paul Long for supplying this]
- John Ramsey McDowell,
- A.M.; was instituted March 8, 1867.
- Henry Stuart Fagan
- 1870. on whose resignation
- John Andrews Reeve
John Andrews Reeve was Vicar of St. Just 1882–1895.
This picture was marked July 24, 1903 [thanks to Jon Rees for
- George Brereton Hooper,
- Thomas Taylor
B.D., F.S.A in 1900. A scholar of St Catherine’s
College, Cambridge and an honorary Canon of Truro Cathedral
1917–38. Taylor was another erudite and noted Vicar of
St. Just, whose standard works ‘Celtic
Christianity’ and ‘Life of St Samson’ are
still sources of reference. He also became known as
‘the poor man’s lawyer’ as a result of his
freely given assistance in matters of compensation for
injuries sustained in tin mining. Canon Taylor was barded
Ust’ ‘Servant of St. Just’ at
Boscawen-ûn, St Buryan on 21st September 1928.
Thomas Taylor was Vicar of St. Just 1900–38. [thanks to
Andrew Burt for finding this]
- C. R. V. Cook
- Jack James
- 1939. Taken ill on Maundy Thursday [1956?] and passed away
later that day.
- Alexander Stewart Whyte Barrie
M.A. 1956. Born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1923, Rev. Barrie was
a scholar of Glasgow High School and Glasgow University where
he gained a masters degree in Greek and Latin. After
attending Edinburgh Theological College Rev. Barrie became a
Deacon on September 21st 1946 at the Cathedral Church of St.
Mary, Glasgow and was ordained a priest on September 21st
1947. He was curate for St. John’s Bridgwater from
October 26th 1949 to January 1955 and at St. Thomas and St.
Michaels’ Winchester from January 1955 to October 1956.
Rev. Barrie married his wife, Brenda who came from
Bridgwater, on October 6th 1956 and some twelve days later on
October 18th 1956 he was instituted Vicar of St.
Just-in-Penwith and also became Vicar of Sancreed during
1962. He remained with both parishes until May 1972 when he
moved to Bodmin, where he became a Canon in 1979. Canon
Barrie remained at Bodmin until 1987 where he held the St.
Euny stall, but retired to Falmouth in 1987 due to illness,
he died on 21st June 1988.
During his time at St. Just the Barries had two children.
In 1957 Alexander Stewart Whyte Barrie became the first child
to be born in the Vicarage for over 100 years followed by
Catriona Barrie in 1960. Canon Barrie was Chairman of the St.
Just Urban District Council circa 1966—1970 during
which time he lead the Council through the Torrey Canyon
disaster of 1967. The stricken oil tanker, which was carrying
120,000 tons of oil, began sinking on 18th March 1967 after
it hit the Seven Stones reef off the Cornish coast.
Canon Stuart Barrie was Vicar of St. Just 1956–72
[thanks to Andrew Burt for finding this and Brenda Barrie for
permission to use it]
- George F. Temple
- David J. M. Jasper
- 1975. Resigned Summer 1986.
- Stephen Windsor Leach