The following description is lifted directly from [Blight 1885] but note that the text was prepared for the Gentleman’s Magazine 1862-64 and is largely unaltered. It must be read in the context of that date. The drawings are by the author.
LELANT CHURCH is built among the sandbanks which line the southern shore of St. Ives Bay. Its plan closely resembles that of St. Erth, having chancel and nave with north and south aisles to both, with south porch and western tower; and is interesting chiefly for its Norman remains, consisting of an entire arch, pier, and half-pier, forming the second bay on the north side of the nave.
The springing of a second arch to the east is to be seen on the south side. The capitals are scolloped, and the base has simply a round and chamfer on a square plinth. Westward of the Norman work is an acutely-pointed arch of the thirteenth century, of plain masonry without mouldings.
The rest of the church is Perpendicular. The porch is like that at St. Erth, and has a niche for a stoup, the vessel itself being removed.
Those who are curious in such matters will find quaint inscriptions on the tablets against the west wall of the south aisle.
There is some fair modern glass in this church. Outside the western entrance is a round-headed cross, and another, having St. Andrew’s cross in bold relief, stands within the churchyard.
The patron saint is St. Ewinus.
[The book continues with other West Cornwall churches, the next in this district being St. Ives.]
More about Lelant