The following transcript is quoted from [Potts 1974]. This is still in copyright so only this and one other small extract have been quoted.
The Lelant terrier is significant because it provides an ancient account of the problems with sand inundation and also highlights the relationship between this parish and those of St. Ives and Towednack. Whether the loss of income from the former contributed to the later separation of the incumbencies I do not know.
House: ‘we doe not know or have heard that any Vicaridge house or Glebeland doth, or ever did belong to the Parishes of St. Ives & Towednacke … which are Daughter-Churches [of] … Lelant’. Lelant vicarage: ‘all the vicarage house & all the Outhouses together with all the Gardens & all the Glebelands (& Orchards if any were) … have been wholly overwhelm’d & covered for several years last past & also at this present time with sand blown up from the sea … In the Vicaridge house was one Hall one Buttery one Kitchen & two Chambers; wherein Mr. Thomas Corey a former Incumbent lived till the Sand came in thorow the said house upon his Table & into his Bed & did otherwise So molest & incomode him, that he was forced to quitt it, notwithstanding his diligent endeavours to ye contrary’. Outhouses were a barn, a stable, a ‘roome for keeping implements of husbandry’, with a hay loft over. A garden bounded by the glebe land.
Glebe: ‘There were belonging to the said Vicaridge severall enclosed fields of good & fertill land containing by Supposition twenty Acres or upwards’, with a common of 20–30a. to the N., the whole bounded by the highway from St. Ives to Helston on the SE. to Chappel Anjoe on the N., bounded on the S. & SE. by the River Hayle, on the N. by the sea, on the W., SW., & S. by the manor of Lelant & Trevethow, belonging to John, Earl of Radnor & James Praed Esq. ‘In the aforesaid Glebelands were formerly Tyn Mines whereby aurned considerable benefitt & advantage of Farme-Tyn to the former & last Incumbents also but none at all to the Present’.
Church: ‘There was heretofore … another Church … between the sea & the Church now in use, which hath been some hundreds of years since lost by means of the blown sand: & the Present Church alsoe is extreamly damnified by the same meanes: the one halfe thereof being falen & lost: & the blown sand neare the Church as also on the Vicaridge Land as high (if not higher) than the Church itselfe at the Present’.
Signatories: John Hawkins, vicar, Arth[ur] Edwards, John Hawking & the sign of Edmund Uren, churchwardens.
House & glebe: none within the memory of man: ‘… all the Glebe Lands entirely covered by an immense Quantity of Sand blown in upon them from the Sea’. But a former terrier notes a house and several glebe fields, about 20a., with a waste or common 30a., bounded on the SE. by the road from St. Ives to Helston and on the N. by Chapel Anjoe rock, on the SE. & E. by the river Hayle, on the N. by the sea, on the W., SW. & S. by the manor of Trevethoe and Lelant and that in these glebe lands ‘are considerable Tin Mines or Tin Works’.
Payments: £1 6s. 8d. p.a. paid to Lelant Church by St. Ives, 4s. p.a. paid by Towednack.
Fees: Easter offerings 2d. p.a. for every person over 16; for writing marriage banns 1s., for a certificate of banns published 2s. 6d., for marrying with banns 2s. 6d. if parishioners, 5s. if strangers; churching 6d., burying 1s. An exemption from paying morturaries pretended.
Tithes: hay, milk, herbage, hops, apples, pigs, geese, honey and all other things titheable save corn, wool and lambs are due in kind to the vicar.
Furnishings: an embroidered pulpit cloth and cushion of crimson velvet, a Communion Table and a cloth of scarlet broadcloth with a silk fringe, 2 Common Prayer Books folio, a Bible folio, a book of homilies folio, a chest for vestments etc., a surplice, 5 bells in the tower, a large silver flagon inscribed ‘The Gift of Sir Nath[aniel] Napier Bart & Thos. Hearle Esq to the Parish of Lelant 1726’ weight 55 oz., a silver salver inscribed ‘The Bread which we break is it not the Communion of the Body of Christ? 1st. Cor. 10th Chap. 10th Verse’ weight 14 ozs., a silver chalice & cover inscribed ‘Uny Lelant 1726’ weight 32 ozs. 5pw.
Church: the parish repairs the church, chancel and churchyard fence.
Clerk & sexton: £4 and £2 p.a. respectively, paid by the churchwardens. The clerk appointed by the vicar and parish jointly, the sexton by the parish.
Signatories: William Shepheard, vicar, James Stevens & Edw[ar]d Banfield, churchwardens, Hu[mphrey] Pawley, Clement Uren, Henry Banfield, Hanniball Hosking.
More about Lelant
House & glebe: none, being a daughter church of Lelant.
Payments: £1 6s. 8d. paid by the Borough of St. Ives to the mother church.
Fees: as Lelant save morturaries which are 10s. for every person dying worth £10 or more, and £1 p.a. from the Mayor of the Borough for a sermon to be preached on the day of his election, the gift of Mrs. Cheston Hicks.
Tithes: as Lelant; but corn, wool, fish and lambs not due to the vicar.
Furnishings: a pulput cloth of crimson damask and a cushion of crimson plush, a Communion Table with 2 cloths of scarlet broadcloth, 4 ‘cricketts’ with Cushions ‘for the communicants to kneel upon’, a bier, 2 surplices, 2 Books of Common Prayer folio, a Bible folio, a book of homilies folio, Bishop Jewel’s works folio with a desk for it to stand on, a chest for the vestments etc., 3 bells and an old clock in the tower, 2 large silver flagons both engraved ‘GH’ on the handles each 116 ozs. 17pw., a silver salver with the arms of Sir William Pendarves Kt. inscribed ‘Pendarves de Pendarves Ecclesia dedit Anno 1713’ 15oz. 3pw., a large silver chalice inscribed ‘The Guift of Alles Sise to the Church of St. Ives Anno Domin: 1641’ and a cover inscribed ‘St. I.’ 25 ozs. together, a small silver chalice with a cover inscribed ‘IHS’ 12 ozs., a large silver plate inscribed ‘RHK 1675’ 12 ozs. 7pw.
Church: the Borough repairs the church, chancel and churchyard fence.
Clerk & sexton: £5 and £3 p.a. respectively, paid by the churchwardens. The clerk appointed by the vicar, the sexton by the Borough.
Signatories: William Shepheard vicar, P. Tremearn & James Renals churchwardens, John Ceely, Rich[ar]d Harry, N. Busvargus, John King, John Noall, John Hichens mayor, Vivian Stevens, Nath[aniel] Anthony, Tho[mas] Anthony, Joseph Gubbs.
More about St. Ives
House & glebe: none, being a daughter church of Lelant.
Payments: 4s. p.a. paid by the parish to the mother church.
Fees: Easter offering 2d. for every married person over 16, 1d for every unmarried person; banns & marriages, churchings, burials: as Lelant. Morturaries: as St. Ives.
Tithes: as Lelant.
Furnishings: a pulpit cloth and cushion of black serge, a Communion Table with a cloth of blue broad cloth, 2 Books of Common Prayer folio, a Bible folio, a book of homilies folio, a surplice, a chest in which to keep the vestments etc., a bier, 3 bells in the tower, a chalice with a cover engraved ‘1576’ 9 oz. 4pw.
Church: as Lelant
Clerk: 30s. p.a. paid by the churchwardens and appointed by the vicar. No sexton.
Signatories: William Shepheard vicar, David Curnow & John Roberts churchwardens, Peter Curnow, Robert Curnow, Paul Quick, Michael Curnow.
More about Towednack