The following description is lifted directly from [Polsue 1868]. It must be read in the context of that date. Other extracts are available online.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|
More about Ludgvan
LUDGVAN, or Ludevon, is situated in the deanery and hundred of Penwith; it is bounded on the north by Towednack and Lelant; on the east by S. Erth and S. Hilary; on the south by Mount’s Bay and Gulval; and on the west by Gulval and Towednack.
The estimated tithable lands of the parish amount to 4545A. 0R. 3P.; which is subdivided thus;—arable, meadow, and pasture 2827A, 0R. 27P.; orchards and gardens, 67A. 3R. l5P.; common land 83A. 0R. 24P.; furze and morass 1l20A. 3R. 22P.; homesteads and hedges 224A. 0R. 7P.; roads, rivers, and waste l82A 1R. 27P. and the glebe and churchyard 38A. 2R. 1P.
The living is a rectory in the alternate patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and Lord Sandwich. The tithes were commuted in 1839 at £808; and there is a good glebe comprising by actual measurement 38A. 0R. l1P.
The parish contains by actual survey 4544A. 0R. 3P.; of which roads, rivers, and wastes measure l82A. 1R. 27P.; and the church and churchyard 1R. 30P., exclusive of the recent addition.
List of Rectors:—Thomas Gerweys, or probably Gerveys, 1418; he exchanged for Gwennap with John Colyns, who succeeded him here September 18, in that year; Bartholomew Mychell, rector in l536; John South, died 1636; Richard Tooker or Tucker, A.M.; he was ejected from the rectory, then worth £180 a year, “for persisting firmly in his duty to the Church and his Prince.” At the time of his ejectment, he was a widower with eight children, the eldest, a girl, not being more than fourteen years of age. Having neither money, goods, nor provisions, be was beholden to some welldisposed neighbours for every necessary. After some time he was allowed his fifths, but these were taken from him and two small vicarages were substituted in succession; one of them was Gulval. He is spoken of as a man of great probity and sincerity. Charles Wroughton 1712; William Borlase, D. D., instituted in 1722; Herbert Praed, 1782; John Stephens, he was 40 years rector, and built the present commodious rectory house he died October 25, 1834; aged 69 ; Henry-Elliot Graham, instituted April 19, 1835 died August 9,1855; aged 62; Archibald Paris, 1856; and the present rector, the Rev. David-John Harrison, instituted in 1862.
The church is dedicated to S. Ludowanus [now St. Paul the Apostle]; it comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. In the chancel, which was enlarged in 1810, is a funeral hatchment, bearing the arms of Rogers impaling Basset. The north arcade has six four-centred arches, with fine granite pillars, chiefly monolith; the south arcade has four arches of similar character and material.
The font is ornamented with cable and zigzag mouldings; it stands on an octagonal shaft and basement.
The pulpit is inlaid with medallions in wood, representing the crucifixion, apostles; etc. The responds of the tower arch are paneled; and the rood stairs are in the north wall. The royal arms are inscribed “Victoria Regina, A.D. 1837.”
There is a south porch with a circular opening in its eastern side, and the inner arch of its doorway is of Norman character; also a north door, and a priest’s door.
The tower which is of three stages, is buttressed on the square and finished with battlements and pinnacles; the pinnacles are richly paneled and ornamented with quatrefoils. The belfry contains five bells, on one of which is inscribed Wm. Borlase, Rector, 1722; on another the legend Soli Deo gloria. Pax in bello.
Tablets, floorstones, etc., bear the following epitaphs:—
Catherine the wife of Nicholas Davy, yeoman, was buried the 18th day of July, 1635.
Death shall not make her memory to rott;
Her vertues were too greate to bee forgott.
Earth hath her earth, which must yield it againe;
Heaven hath her soul, where it must there remain.
The world her worth, to blazon forth her fame,
The poor relieved, do honour still her name.
Earth, Heaven, World, Poor, do her immortalize;
Who dying lives and living never dies.
Here Lyeth the Body of John South, Mr. of Arts, who dyed Rector of this Parishe ye 6th Daye of October, in the yeare of our Lord God 1636.
Let Nature’s covrier children have
A tonguelesse tombe, or but a grave,
South, the meridian point of wit,
Can never set but shine in it.
Ripe Artist and Divine inspir’d;
Thou liv’d’st: thou died’st, belov’d, admir’d.
Hyperbolize I doe not:—true,
All’s here: deare dearest friend, a due.
The effgies of the parents, with two sons and three daughters, are carved on the slate.
In memory of A.D., wife of R.D. (Davy), of this parish, Gent., who departed this life the 2 day of December, in the 45 year of her age. Anno Domini 1706.
Inhum’d in the obscure grave doth lie,
The just idea of true piety.
In words discreet, sweet was her conversation,
A Loyall wife divine in contemplation;
Unto her friends, her neighbours always kind;
The poor alas! her equal cannot find.
Opprest with grief fountains of tears they shed;
And dayly cry,—our liberall friend is dead.
Desist your mourning, though from hence she’s gone,
A glorious Crown by dying she bath wonne.
Lett virtue be your guide, that her survive;
And to sur mount her heavenly actions strive;
Whose constant practice, sole delight and care,
Pious discourse, ejaculations rare.
(Brass.) By the smallness of this table judge not reader of that loss which it deplores.
Chl. Borlase, a youth of sweet & amiable disposition, chusing the life of a sailor, and making quick advances to deserve the honours of his profession, dy’d neither by the fury of war in which he was engaged about four years, nor by the dangerous element on which he served his king & country; but by a Feaver, like a fair flower that had survived the winter’s hail & storms, reserved to be gather’d not torn off,—in time of peace he was taken by God to himselfe on the coast of Guinea, Feb. 21, 1749.
His affectionate parents, depriv’d of a most hopefull son, and unable to pay him the proper funeral duties, engrave their remembrance of him in this plate, contented because such was the will of God.
Side by side in the chancel are two stones commemorating Dr. Borlase and his wife; they bear the arms of Borlase with the motto Te digna sequare, and the following inscriptions:—
Per annos propemodum quadraginta & quinque
Uxori, peramatæ, amanti amabili,
Extremum hoc qualecunque
Grati animi pignus
Decessit in Christo multum desiderata,
Apirilis XXImo die, MDCCLXIX;
Hic etiam sunt repositæ
reliquiæ Annæ Mariti
Gul : Borlase L.L.D., R.S.S.
perurbani perhumani perquam pii;
hujusce Parochiæ per Annos LII
in republica necnon literaria versatissimi
Obt. XXXI Aug. A.D. MDCCLXXII;
Sacred to the memory of Robert Davy of Varfell in this parish, who died the 16th of December, 1796; aged 55 years.
Also of Grace his wife, who died the 3rd of September, 1526; aged 75 years.
Their remains are interred in the eastern part of this churchyard, at the end of the south aisle.
They were the parents of Sir Humphry Davy, Bart., Late President of the Royal Society, &c., &c., who died at Geneva the 29th of May, 1829: and was buried there.
He was deprived of his father in his youth:, but his mother lived long to rejoice with a meek and thankful spirit in the distinctions which rewarded the merits of their eldest child. This tablet in testimony of grateful remembrance has been erected by their surviving children.
In memory of John Pooley of this parish, sometime Captain of the Cobre mines in San Domingo, and afterwards of the Lucencia mine in Spain, who died 2nd May, 1864; aged 54 years.
This monument is erected by a friend.
There are numerous inscribed granite slabs and other memorials of the Davy family on the outside of the east end of the south aisle; the following is from a slate attached to the wall of the church.
Neere this Place Lyes Interr’d ye Body of Anne ye wife of Robert Davey of this pish. Gent., who departed this Life ye 2nd day of Decembr. in ye 45th year of her age. Anno Domini 1706
Neere heres interr’d a good and vertuous wife;
Whilst liv’d did lead a pious Godly life.Anagram.
A: mong ye rich, ye poor, ye blind, ye lame,
N: one will refraine to celebrate her fame
N: one will forbeare eke to lament her death;
E: ach on his part while they have life and breath.
D: oe not lament too much, husband nor friends;
A: llthough shee’s dead her death to glory tends.
V: iew but her faith, her works, her life, her death,
Y: ou then will say that shee gained Christ on earth.A happy game, then let us all endeavour
To live as shee, that we may live for ever.
The church was dedicated by John de Grandisson, bishop of Exeter, July 14, 1336. The curious embellishments on the panels of the pulpit were discovered in 1837 on preparing it for repainting. The church was struck by lightening July 30, 1761. The south door was burst open; the pulpit and communion table were shattered; one of the pinnacles of the tower was struck down; and other parts of the building considerably damaged. The tower is considered to be one of the most correct in its architectural details, in the west of Cornwall.
More about Ludgvan
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|