MORVAH is a parish, 6 miles north-west from Penzance, and 4 from St. Just, in the western division of Cornwall, Penwith Hundred, Penzance Union, Penwith deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter bishopric. The church is a stone building, in the Gothic style; has nave, aisle, chancel, transept, several monuments, font and a square tower containing 3 bells. The living is a vicarage annexed to Madron, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter; the Rev. Michael M. Peters M.A., of Madron, is the incumbent, and the Rev. John Pope Vibert, M.A., is the curate. There are chapels for Methodists and Bryonites, a school for boys and girls, and a Sunday school held at the church. The population, in 1851, was 367, and the acreage is 1,226. The soil is killas; the subsoil is rock. John Quick, Esq., and Dennis Lory, Esq., are chief landowners. The chief crops are wheat and potatoes.

Roseworthy, Trevella, Trevevan, Trigaminnion, Trevean, Trevorian, Calartha, Carn, Chypraze, and Chywoon are places here.


Bone Edmund, farmer

Bone Henry, farmer

Curnow Peter, shopkeeper

Davey John, farmer, Roseworthy

Davey Richard, farmer, Roseworthy

Eddy Thomas, farmer, Trevean

Edy Richard, Smith

Harvey Benjamin, farmer, Calartha

Hichens Richard, John & Christopher, farmers, Carne

Lory John & William, farmers, Trigaminnion

Lory William Dennis, farmer, Chypraze

Mason Amos, farmer, Trevella

Matthews John, farmer, Chywoon

Nankervis James, farmer, Trevorian

Quick John, farmer, Trevevan

Thomas Martin, farmer, Trigaminion

Tregerthy John, schoolmaster & parish clerk

Trembath James, farmer, Roseworthy

Trownson James, ‘Star’

White Nicholas, farmer, Trevella

Williams William, carpenter

  Letters through Penzance. The nearest money order office is at St. Just

More about Morvah

More from Kelly’s 1856