MORVAH is a parish, 6 miles north-west from Penzance, and 4 north-by-east from St. Just, near the coast, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter diocese. The church of St. Morvah has nave, chancel, and a square tower containing 3 bells, and contains some monuments. The register dates from the year 1518[?]. The living is a vicarage annexed to Madron, joint gross yearly value £890, in the gift of and held by, the Rev. Michael Nowell Peters M.A., of St. Peter’s college, Cambridge, who resides at Penzance; the Rev. James Aldridge Devenish is curate. There are chapels for Wesleyan Methodists and Bible Christians, and a school for boys and girls in connection with the Wesleyans. John Borlase, esq., is lord of the manor, and chief landowner. The soil is killas, resting on granite. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes and barley. The area is 1,226 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,365; rateable value, £1,240; and the population in 1871 was 356.

Letters through Penzance. The nearest money order office is at St. Just

School, James Roberts, master

Serres Henry, Vicarage house


Bone Edmund, farmer

Davy Wm. farmer, Rosemergy

Eddy Thomas, farmer, Trevean

Edy Richard, smith & farrier

Harvey Benjanmin, farmer, Crewtha

Hichens Richard, John & Christopher, farmers, Carne

Lawry John, farmer, Tregaminion

Lawry William Dennis, farmer, Chypraze

Mason Amos, farmer, Trembath

Matthews John, farmer, Chyoon

Nankervis James, farmer, Chyoone

Quick John, farmer, Trevean

Roberts William Mark, Star inn

Stevens William, farmer, Tregaminion

Thomas Martin, farmer, Tregaminion

Trembath James, farmer, Trembath

White Nicholas, farmer, Trevean

Williams William, carpenter

More about Morvah

More from Kelly’s 1873