SENNEN is a parish 10 miles
east from Penzance, 1 mile
from the Land’s End, in the western division, Penwith
Hundred, Penzance Union, Penwith deanery, Cornwall
archdeaconry, and Exeter bishopric; it is situated on the
western coast. The church of St. Sennen is an old stone
building, in the pointed style of architecture; has tower,
nave, two aisles, transept, porch, chancel, 3 bells, monuments,
font, and register. The living is a rectory, worth £230
yearly; the Hon. and Rev. Fitzroy Stanhope, M.A., is the
incumbent, and the Rev. William Houghton, M.A., is the curate.
There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists
and Bryanites. There is a National school for the parishes of
Senne r and Levan, without endowment.
This is the most westerly parish in England, and contains the
Land’s End. The population, in 1851, was 652; and the
acreage is 2,230. The soil is killas; the subsoil is granite.
The chief crops are wheat and potatoes.
Mayon, or Mean, is a small village near the Land’s End. Here is a large stone called Table Mean.
Houghton Rev. William M.A
Trembath James, esq. Mayon house
Badcock Richard, farmer, Escalls
George William, farmer, Trevescan
Harvey Samuel, farmer, Trevear
Hicks William, farmer, Trevorian
Humphries Jonathan, farmer, Brew
Laity Thomas, farmer, Penrose
Matthews George, ‘Success’
Pascoe Nicholas, farmer, Skewjack
Phillips George, farmer, Mayon Farm
Saundry James, farmer, Trevescan
Toman Thomas, ‘First & Last’
Trembath Richard, farmer, Trevilly
Trembath William, farmer, Trevilly
Vingoe George, parish clerk
Vingoe Israel, farmer, Escalls
Wallish James, farmer, Treeve
Letters through Penzance. The nearest money order office is at St. Just
More about Sennen
More from Kelly’s 1856