ZENNOR is a parish 7 miles north-north-east[west] from Penzance, in the western division, Penwith Hundred, Penzance Union, Penwith deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry and Exeter bishopric; it is situated on the north coast. The church is a plain stone building; has a porch and square tower containing 3 bells; in the interior of the church are nave, two aisles, chancel, transept, several mural mounments, and a font. The living is a vicarage, worth £179 yearly, with residence and 14 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter; the Rev. William Borlase, M.A., is the incumbent. There are three chapels for Wesleyans. There is a Sunday school held at the church. The population, in 1851, was 918; and the acreage is 4,229, but three fourths is waste land. The soil is killas; the subsoil is killas and granite. The Earl of Sandwich is lord of the manor, and John Grove esq. Esq., of Fern House, Wiltshire, is chief landowner. Large quantities of stone are taken from here to Penzance for shipment.

Borlase Rev. William M.A. Vicarage


Berriman Robert & John, farmers, Porthmere

Berriman David, farmer, Chyaembro

Berriman Richard, farmer

Berriman William, farmer

Berriman William, ‘Tinner’s Arms’

Boas William, farmer, Carne

Christopher Nicholas, shopkeeper

Dale John, farmer, Tregerthen

Eddy Thomas, farmer

Edwards Francis, farmer, Trewey

Giles Henry, farmer, Porthmere

Hollow James, farmer, Trendrine

Michell James, farmer, Tregerthen

Nicholls Henry, shopkeeper

Nicholls Henry, farmer, Kerrow

Osborn Charles, farmer

Osborn John, farmer

Osborn Matthew, farmer, Trewey

Stevens William, farmer, Pennance

Thomas John, farmer, Boswednan

Thomas John, smith

Thomas Thomas, shopkeeper

Thomas Thomas, farmer, Trereen

Trudgen John, smith

  Letters through Penzance, which is the nearest money order office

More about Zennor

More from Kelly’s 1856