ST. JUST-IN-PENWITH is a market town, township and parish, near the coast at Cape Cornwall, 7 miles west from Penzance, nearest railway station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, petty sessional division of Penwith West, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.

The town consists of several streets diverging from a triangular space in the centre. The church of St. Just is a fine building of granite and free stone, in the Later Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, battlemented south porch, vestry and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 3 bells: in a recess in the north wall of the chancel is a curious old incised slab bearing on one side the inscription “SILVS HC JACET,” and on the upper side an incised “labarum,” or sacred monogram, of very ancient date: built into the wall of the north aisle is an ancient cross found in the old chapel at Cape Cornwall, about a mile and a half west: the large chandeliers were given by John Edwards, of Truthwall, in 1746: there are memorials to the families of Millett, Chenhalls and others, and memorial windows to Owen Boyle, light keeper of Longship lighthouse, who lost his life on the 25th Oct. 1877, to Stephen Harvey James, sen. d. 1870, and to Stephen Harvey James, jun. d. 1887: the chancel was rebuilt in 1834, and the church restored in 1865 under the direction of J. P. St. Aubuyn esq. at a cost of £2,000, and has sittings for 500 persons: the communion plate consists of gifts by various donors from 1666 to 1747: a burial ground formed from land purchased of Major Pascoe R.A. was opened April 12th, 1829, and another, the gift of the late Rev. William Hodgson, was completed in 1890 by the erection of a stone wall, and consecrated by Dr. Wilkinson, late bishop of Truro. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1630; marriages and burials, 1599. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £400, net yearly value £323, including 8 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor.

In the vicarage grounds are two ancient granite crosses and a mên-an-tol, or holed stone: on the isthmus which unites the bold headland called “Cape Cornwall” with the adjoining hill, are the remains of an ancient chapel, known as “St. Helen’s Oratory,” and there are the ruins of another on Carn Brea. The Wesleyan chapel in Chapel street, built in 1833 at a cost of £1,500, is a building of granite with a portico supported on four columns of the Doric order: it will seat 2,000 persons. There is also a Bible Christian chapel and a Free Methodist chapel, erected in 1860, and seating 300.

The Market House, which is spacious and convenient, was built in 1840 by James Trembath esq. of Sennen. The market is held on Saturday. The Literary Institution in Chapel street, established in 1842, has a library of 400 volumes, museum and news room; science and art classes are held in connection with it and lectures are also delivered weekly throughout the winter months. The 9th Co. 1st Cornwall (Duke of Cornwall’s) Volunteer Artillery, Western Division Royal Artillery, and the J Co. 1st Volunteer Battalion Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry have quarters here. In the St. Just district are the Botallack mines, the workings of which are under the sea; the Wheal Owles mines, owing to the flooding of this mine on Jan 10th, 1893, are at present unworked; the Levant tin mines give employment to about 400 people; and there is also a New Balleswidden tin mine. Messrs. Cornish, Richard Boyns, of Boswedden, and others, are lords of the manor. Viscount Falmouth, Lord St. Levan, Lord Robartes, Major Ross, the trustees of John Usticke Scobell esq. the Misses Borlase of Castle Horneck, Penzance, and Mrs. Richard Hichens are chief landowners. The soil is granite; the subsoil is rab. Cape Cornwall is in this parish, one mile north-west of the town. The chief crops are barley, oats, potatoes and pasture. The area is 7,421 acres, of which 30 are water; rateable value, £13,577; the population is 1891 was 6,119.

Parish Clerk, William Merrifield.

Post, M.O. & T.O. [Money Order & Telegraph Office], S.B. [Savings Bank] & Annuity & Insurance Office. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O.Cornwall added).—John Warren, postmaster, Bank square. Letters arrive at 9.7 a.m. & 5.20 p.m.; dispatched at 8.30 a.m. & 3.20 p.m. There is no sunday post

Wall Letter Boxes, Tregeseal, cleared at 8 a.m & 2.50 p.m.; & New Downs cleared 8.5 a.m. & 2.55 p.m

Public Establishments:—

County Police Station, Chapel st. Charles Hill, sergeant, & 1 constable

Literary Institution, Chapel st. Edwin Trembath, hon. sec

Public Officers:—

Clerk to the Highway Board & Assistant Overseer, Thos. Williams, New Downs

Medical Officer St. Just District, Penzance Union, Richard Burford Searle L.R.C.P.Lond

Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths for St. Just, Sancreed & Morvah, Alfred Chenhalls, jun. Market street

Surveyor of Highways, William Merrifield

Places of Worship, with times of services:—

St. Just Church; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; & 8.30 a.m. daily

Bible Christian, Rev. Samuel Eva; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7 p.m

Methodist Free Church; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; daily 7.30 p.m

Wesleyan, Rev. Elijah Clapham, Rev. Matthew Hall; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; tues 7 p.m

A School Board of 7 members was formed June 30, 1875; Alfred Chenhalls, clerk to the board; Pascoe Grenfell, Bosorne, St. Just, attendance officer


Board (boys, girls & infants), built in 1877, for 730 children; average attendance, 176 boys, 173 girls & 166 infants; James Jenkin, master; Miss Lydia Williams, mistress; Miss Ellen Penrose, infants’ mistress

Kelynack (mixed), built in 1881, for 100 children; average attendance, 53; Miss Kate Redhead, mistress

Omnibusses to Penzance.—Eddy, daily, 7 & 9 a.m. & 2 & 5 p.m. returning 10.30 a.m. & 1, 6 & 9 p.m.; sundays, 7.30 a.m. returning 10.45 a.m.; A Thomas, 8.30 (mail), 9 & 10.30 a.m. & 5 p.m. returning 11.30 a.m. 4 (mail), 6.30 & 7.30 p.m


Bolitho Mrs. Bosorne terrace

Boyns Mrs. Hy. Lafrawda vills. Green la

Boyns Mrs. Jn. Lafrawda villas, Green la

Boyns Richard, Boswedden house

Caudy Charles, Bosorne

Chenhalls Alfred, Market street

Chenhalls Mrs. Nancherrow terrace

Chenhalls William, Cape-Cornwall st

Clapham Rev. Elijah [Wesleyan], Green la

Ellis Peter, Highfield, Tregeseal

Eva Rev. Sml. [Bible Christn.], Regent ter

Hill Mrs. Cravallack villa

Holman John, Nancherrow vil. Tregeseal

Holman Walter, Foundry house

Holman William, Chapel street

Jago Charles Sprague

James Mrs. Chapel street

James Mrs. S. H. Alma villa, Tregeseal

Lawry John, Tregeseal

Luty John, Bollowal

Macreight Albert, Kenythorn house

Millett Edwin Ley, Bosavern

Nesbitt Robert Garven

Oates Miss, Market street

Oldrini Miss, Market square

Olds Mrs. Carne house, Market street

Rowe John, Lafrowda terrace

Saundry Misses, Bosavern

Saundry Miss, Kelynack

Searle Richard Burford

Thomas Misses, Bank square

Tippet Mrs. tregeseal house

Tozer Henry Edwin, Cape Cornwall ho

Trahair Mrs. Chapel street

Trahair Wm. The Cottage, Bosavern

Trenear Miss, Cavallack villa

Trezise George Edwards, Lafrowder ter

Warren John, The Bank

Wesley Mrs. Lafrowda terrace

Williams Arthur Ernest, Bank square

Williams Mrs. Chapel street


Andrewartha Thomas Hill, organist to St. Just church & insurance agent

Andrewartha John, insurance agent, Carallack terrace

Angwin Benjamin, shopkeeper, Fore st

Angwin Benj. jun. shopkeeper, Botallack

Angwin James, shopkpr. Nancherrow ter

Batten, Carne & Carne’s Banking Co. Lim. (branch) (Arth. Ernest Williams, manager); draw on London & Westminster Bank Limited, London E C

Bennetts Hy. Shakerley, farmer, Bostrase

Bennetts Caroline (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Cribble’s hill

Bennetts Thomas, farmer, Bosavern

Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls & Co. Lim. (Consolidated Bank of Cornwall), bankers (John Warren, manager); draw on Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie & Co. Lombard street, London E C

Bolitho Margaret (Mrs.), draper & grocer, Market square

Bone George, farmer, Brea Vean

Botallack Mine (tin & copper) (Arthur Hodge James, purser)

Boyns Bessie (Miss), organist to Wesleyan chapel

Boyns Ernest, wholesale & retail grocer & wine & spirit merchant, & agen[t] for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants; boot & shoe maker & draper, Market place

Boyns Nicholas, farmer, Hendra

Boyns Richard, farmer, Botrase

Boyns Richard, purser of mines, Boswedden house

Brokinshaw Samuel, mason, Carralack terrace

Candy Charles, farmer, Bosorne

Candy Edwin, grocer, Regent terrace

Candy William Henry, farmer, Bosorne

Casley Henry, farmer, Truthwall

Casely James, farmer, Boscean

Chenhalls Alfred, jun. registrar of births, marriages & deaths for St. Just Sancreed & Morvah sub-district & clerk to the school board, Fore street

Chenhalls James, farmer, Bollowall

Chirgwin Ralph William & Co. grocers & drapers, Bank square

Cornwall 1st (Duke of Cornwall’s) Volunteer Artillery, Western Division, Royal Artillery (9th Company) (Hon. Maj. Richard Thomas; R. G. Nesbitt, lieut)

County Police Station (Charles Hill, sergeant), Chapel street

Daniel Nicholas Charles, tinplate worker & watch maker, Fore street

Davey Nancy (Mrs.), shpkpr. Nancherrow

Davey William, shopkeepr. Victoria row

Eddy Banjamin, apartments & ’bus proprietor, Chapel street

Eddy James, farmer, Trevegean

Eddy James Daniel, farmer, Kelynack

Eddy Joseph, grocer, Queen street

Eddy Thomas, grocer, West place

Eddy William, shoe maker, Fore street

Eddy William Rowe, builder, Kernidjack

Ellis Ellen (Mrs.), shopkpr. Victoria row

Gibson Francis & Son, crpntr. Regent ter

Glasson & Son, grocers, Nancherrow ter

Goninan Alfd. shopkpr. Cape-Cornwall st

Grenfell Elizh. (Miss), tailoress, Chapel st

Grenfell Richd. baker & grocer, Market sq

Grenfell Pascoe, farmer & school attendance officer, Bosorne

Grenfell Thomas, builder, Kelynack

Guy Samuel, Miners’ Arms P.H. Nancherrow terrace

Hall Jane (Mrs.), grocer, Market square

Harvey Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Cape-Cornwall street

Harvey Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer & baker, Fore street

Harvey Wm. Shakerley, frmr. Kelynack

Harvey Sarah Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Cape-Cornwall street

Harvey Susan (Mrs.), draper, Queen st

Harvey William, baker, Queen street

Hattam Henry, farmer, Bosavern

Hattam William, farmer, Boscregan

Hocking Annie (Mrs.), Wellington family & commercial hotel; coach house & every accommodation for visitors, Market place

Hocking Jane (Mrs.), grocer, Cape-Cornwall street

Hocking William, farmer, Nanjulian

Hocking William, grocer, Kelynack

Hocking Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Hendra

Hollo[sic] James E. shopkeeper, Church st

Hollow John, farmer, Trevedra

Hollow William, farmer, Bosavern

Hollow William, jun. farmer, Kerrow

Holman Nicholas & Sons, engineers, machinists &c. Tregeseal; & at Penzance. See advertisement

Hosking Henry, farmer, Dowran

Hosking Jane (Mrs.), shopkeepr. Queen st

Hosking Sarah (Mrs.), news agent, Chandlers row

Jago Charles Sprague, surgeon

James Peter, blacksmith, Kelynack

Jenkin John, farmer, Bosvargus

Johns James, farmer, Numphra

John James, shoe maker, Kelynack

Kicks William James, artist (portrait & landscape); painting from life or photograph in oils or crayons; artists’ materials dealr. Fore St. studio

Lawrey Thomas, shoe maker, Tregeseal

Leathan Charles, farmer, Gurland

Leggo John, shopkpr. Cape-Cornwall st

Leggo Richard, butcher, Nancherrow ter

Leggo Thomas, farmer, Nancherrow

Literary Institution (Edwin Trembath, hon. sec.), Chapel street

Maddern Richard, farmer, Trevegean

Marks Elizabeth Jane (Mrs.), draper, Carallack terrace

Marks William, mason, Carallack ter

Marks William Henry, farmer, Bollowal

Mason William, farmer, Brea

Matthews Christiana (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Bosorne

Matthews Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. Chapel st

Matthews Mrgt (Mrs.), shopkpr. Angle sq

Merrifield William, surveyor of highways

Mitchell Thomas, farmer, Kenidjack

Murrish William, shopkeeper & lodging house, Cape-Cornwall street

Nankervis Isaac, farmer, Bosorne terrace

Nankervis John, greengrocer, Market sq

Nankervis William, Singer’s sewing machine agent, Fore street

Nesbitt Robert Garven L.K.Q.C.P.I, surgeon & physician

New Balleswidden Mine (tin) (John Hollow, purser)

Olds Henry, butcher, Chapel street

Olds James, butcher & farmer, Fore st

Olds Peter, butcher, Market square

Olds William, butcher, Cape-Cornwall st

Olver Frederick Nicholls, china clay manufacturer, New Balleswidden [Letters are sent direct from Penzance]

Penrose Mary (Mrs.), beer retlr. Chapel st

Perrow & Wallis, drapers, Fore street

Phillips John, farmer, Nanquidno

Reseigh Thos. coal dealer, Nancherrow hl

Reseigh Thos. Hy. greengrcr. Bosorne ter

Reseigh Thos. jun. shopkeeper, Fore st

Richards Thos. tailor & draper, Market pl

Richards William, hair dresser, Nancherrow terrace

Roberts James, carpenter, Princess st

Roberts Mary (Mrs.), fancy shop, Bank sq

Roberts Ralph Hill, carpenter, Bank sq

Roberts Richard, carpenter, New Downs

Rodda Thomas, shoe ma, Boswedden ter

Rowe Eliza (Mrs.), shpkpr. Nanchrw. ter

Rowe Elizh. (Miss), milliner, Regent ter

Rowe Elizh. (Miss), grocer, Fore street

Rowe James, general ironmonger, grocer & cutler, Fore street

Rowe John Penrose, grocer, Queen st

Rowe Joseph, carpenter & fancy shop, Fore street

Rowe Martin, grocer & draper, Cape-Cornwall street

Rowe Samuel, shoe maker, Chapel st

Rowe William Henry, farmer, Letcha

Sampson Wm. shoe ma. Nancherrow ter

St. Just Billiard Club (John Holman, sec.), Market street

Searle Richard Burford L.R.C.P.Lond. surgeon, & medical officer St. Just district, Penzance union

Shackerley Wm. Hy. farmer, Kelynack

Semmens Mary (Mrs.), shpkpr, Botallack

Smith Mary (Mrs.), apartments, Fore st

Stephens Thomas, grocer, Lafrowda ter

Stephens William John, shopkeeper & refreshment rooms, Bank square

Stevens John (Mrs.), apartments, Carallack terrace

Thomas Archelaus, omnibus proprietor, Bosorne terrace

Thomas Henry, draper, Fore street

Thomas James, blacksmith, Angle sq

Thomas Jas. Hy. shoe maker, Market pl

Thomas Jane (Miss), shopkpr. Fore st

Thomas Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Cape-Cornwall street

Thomas Joseph Nichols, auctioneer, Bosorne terrace

Thomas Martin, grocer, Queen street

Thomas Nicholas, boot maker, Fore st

Thomas Peter, shoe ma. Nancherrow hill

Thomas Rd. grocer & draper, Market pl

Tozer Henry Edwin, artist, Cape-Cornwall house

Trahair Harry, grocer, Fore street

Tregear James, farmer, Boswarlas

Tregear James, farmer, Boswarlas

Tregear John, farmer, Bosavern

Tregear Nicholas, butcher, Fore street

Trembath Edwin, grocer & photographer, Bank square

Trenery George, grocer, New downs

Uren James, blacksmith, Factory lane

Uren Rd. shopkeeper, Cape-Cornwall st

Veal Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Carallack

Veal William Bolitho, Star inn, & farmer, Fore street

Volunteer Battalion (1st) Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (I Co.) (Hon. Major Richard White, commander; Ernest Boyns, lieut.), Armoury, Cape-Cornwall street

Warren John, manager to Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls & Co. Limited (Consolidated Bank of Cornwall), bankers, The Bank

Warren Thomas, farmer, Tregeseal

Watters John Henry, farmer, Dowran

Wearing John, chemist, Fore street

Wearne Mary (Mrs.), gro. Bosorne ter

Wheal Owles Mine (tin & copper) (Rd. Boyns, purser), Boswedden house

White William, shoe maker, Kelynack

Wilkins Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper & lodging house, Queen street

Williams Arthur Ernest, manager of Batten, Carne & Carne’s Bank

Williams Eliza (Mrs.), Commercial hotel, Market place

Williams Elizabeth Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Queen street

Williams James, grocer, New downs

Williams Mary Ann (Miss), shopkeeper, Fore street

Williams Nicholas, carpenter, Chapel st

Williams Thomas, King’s Arms P.H. & farmer, Market place

Williams Thomas, clerk to highway board & assistant overseer, New downs

Williams Wm. Thos. pork dlr. Bosorne ter

Woolcock Mary (Miss), shopkeeper, Cape-Cornwall street

More about St. Just in Penwith

More from Kelly’s 1893