The West Cornwall railway branches off [from the Cornwall railway] a short distance south of Truro to Redruth, Camborne and Penzance, the extreme western limit of the railway communication in England, and this is now regarded as the westward extension of the main line, the real extension of the Cornwall railway from Truro to Falmouth being treated as a branch. On the West Cornwall railway are branches to Helston and St. Ives. The broad gauge having been found incompatible, and interfered with the uniformity of traffic with the rest of the system of the Great Western Railway, although it insured a high rate of speed and comfortable travelling, was terminated, after an existence of over half a century, by a remarkable feat of engineering, performed by an army of 5,000 workmen, employed May 21st and 22nd, 1892, who substituted the narrow gauge system through the county in two days, Saturday and Sunday, when traffic was stopped, thus ending what has been known as the “battle of the gauges” in favour of the narrow.
The West Cornwall Infirmary, Penzance, established in 1874, and the Dispensary, an older institution, dating from 1809, now form one establishment in St. Clare street; a new wing was added in 1887 at a cost of £1,000, the joint donation of Edward Thomas and William Bolitho esqrs.: there are 18 beds: during 1892 there were 124 in-patients and 1,826 out-patients: the institution is supported by voluntary contributions, and is efficiently conducted: James Barclay Montgomery M.D. consulting physician; Hugh Mayer Montgomerie M.D., C.M. physician; John Symons, surgeon; Thomas Hacker Bodilly, hon. treasurer; John Batten Cornish, hon.sec.; William Harvey Julyan, assist. sec. and dispenser.
Cornwall formerly returned four members in two divisions, but under the provisions of the “Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885,” it now returns six members in six divisions
No. 1.—The Western or St. Ives division comprises the sessional division of Penwith West (including the Scilly Islands), the municipal boroughs of Penzance & St. Ives, & the parishes of St. Erth & Uny-Lelant
Western Division, Thomas Bedford Bolitho esq. D.L., J.P. Trewidden, Penzance; Greenway house, Brixham, S. Devon; & Union club, London s w.
1st Cornwall (Duke of Cornwall’s) Artillery, Western Division Royal Artillery. Company No. 7, Capt. P. Marrack, Penzance; No. 9, Hon. Major R. Thoams, St. Just-in-Penwith; No. 11, Capt. Arthur H. James, St. Buryan.
1st Volunteer Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Company A, Capt. T. H. Cornish, Corn Exchange, Penzance; J, Hon. Major Richard White, Cape Cornwall street, St. Just-in-Penwith.
by Electoral Division
Western district coroner: George Pascoe Grenfell, 16 Alverton street, Penzance; deputy, Geo. Ley Bodilly, 5 Clarence st. Penzance.
* = Deputy Lieutenants of the County. [R.S.O. = Railway Sub Office and was part of the postal address at the time.]
Penzance District.—Superintendent, John Coombe, Camborne; Inspector, Edward Matthews, Chyandour.