LUDGVAN is a township and parish, 3½ miles north-east from Penzance, 1 mile north from Marazion Road station on the West Cornwall railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro, situated on the hill side facing Mount’s Bay. The parish is governed by a local board of 12 members. The church of St. Paul is an ancient building of granite, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and an embattled tower containing 5 bells: the doorway of the porch is Norman: in this church lie the remains of the Rev. William Borlase LL.D., F.R.S. the well-known historian and antiquary of this county, he was a native of Pendeen, in the parish of St. Just, and rector of this parish fifty-two years; he died at Ludgvan Aug. 31 1772, aged 78. The church plate was presented by the 2nd Earl of Godolphin in 1728; there is also a cup, with cover, dated 1376 [1576]: In the churchyard is a rude cross, 3 feet in height. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1566; marriages and burials 1563. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value from tithe rent-charge £808, with residence, and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland, and held since 1862, by the Rev. David John Harrison M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. There are three chapels for Wesleyans, one for Bible Christians, and two for Primitive Methodists. A Cemetery of half-an-acre was laid out in 1860 at a cost of about £150, and is under the control of a burial board of 12 members. There are charities of £3 15s. yearly value, applied to education. A fair is held on the 2nd of October, yearly, at Lower Quarter, for cattle. Captain John Peverell J. Rogers R.A., who is lord of the manor, the Dule of Leeds, and the Duke of Cleveland are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil is killas. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes and brocoli. The area is 4,584 acres (including 40 of water); rateable value, £7,939; and the population in 1881 was 2,632.

Crowlas is a hamlet half-mile east on the road from Penzance to Redruth.

Post Ofice, Crowlas.—Richard Pearce, postmaster. Letters through Penzance arrive at 11 a.m.; dispatched at 1.40 p.m. Wall Letter Boxes at Long Rock cleared at 2.10 p.m.; Mounts View, 2 p.m. Nancledra, 12.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Marazion

Local Board

Board day, 1st saturday in month, at National School.

Clerk, Richard Edwards, Lower Quarter

Medical Officer of Health, John Couch, Chapel st. Penzance

Surveyor, William Beer, Crowlas

Inspector of Nuisances, William Beer, Crowlas

Collector, Thomas Sampson, Crowlas


A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Richard Edwards, clerk to the board

Board School at Canons Town (mixed), for 90 children; Miss Elizabeth Clark, mistress

Board School at Church Town, for girls, for 215 children; Miss Emily Blackber, mistress

National School at Church Town for 120 boys; Alfred Bishop, master


Harrison Rev. David John M.A. [rector], Rectory

Smales William Clayton, Mounts view

Tregonning Samuel, Rock villa

Warren Henry, Rose vale

White Henry, Trevorrow


Baker W. K. china clay works, Trenowen downs

Caddy Edward, gardener

Cemetery (W. H. G. Johns, clerk to the burial board)

Chellew Benjamin, farmer, Church town

Clarke Thos. miller (water), Curcuryan

Corin Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Long Rock

Corin Jas. market gardener, Tregarthen

Couch Hy. market gardener, Long rock

Couch Rd. market gardener, Long rock

Craze William, farmer

Curnow Andrew, farmer, Borea

Curnow Uriah, farmer, Rospeath

Davy Thomas William, farmer, Church town

Davy Thomas William, jun. farmer, Manwinnion

Dunstan James, surveyor, Canons town

Eddy Thomas, farmer, Trenowin

Eddy Thomas, farmer, Treassowe

Edwards James Henry, farmr. Baldue

Edwards John, farmer, Trenowin

Edwards Richards[sic], smith, Lower Quartr

Edyvean John, farmer, Boskenal

Ellis John, smith, Lower Quarter

Friggens John, Commercial inn, Long Rock

Gwinnep John, farmer, Nanceldan

Harvey Martin, market gardener, Manwidden

Hicks William, market gardnr, Tregarthen

Hosking Fk. Dymond, frmr. Tregender

Hosking James, farmer, Tressowe

Hosking Jas. farmer, Ludgvan lease

Hosking John, butcher, Carvosa

Hosking John, farmer, Rosvidney

Hosking John, Old inn, Carvosa

Hosking Richard James, wheelwright, Lower Quarter

Hosking Wm. farmer, Tremenheere

Inch James, farmer, Castle road

Ivey Henry, miller (water) & farmer, Truthall

Johns John, farmer, Truthall

Jones William Robert, shopkeeper

Jose John, beer retailer, Baldue

Laity Silas, farmer, Tregelloe

Laity Thomas, farmer, Curcuryan

Lanyon James, farmer, Chyvella

Lanyon John, farmer, Rospeath

Lawrey Andrew, farmer, Varfell

Leggo Thomas, farmer, Mount’s view

Mitchell Charles, farmer, Chellew

Oats John, butcher, Baldue

Osborne James, cattle dlr. Canons town

Pascoe Rd. market gardener, Tregarthen

Pearce Hy. market gardener, Church twn

Penberthy James, tin stamping mills, Carvosa

Polmear Samuel, farmer

Pool Thomas, farmer, Polgrean

Quick Hy. market gardener, Willanoweth

Quick Thomas, market gardener, Manwidden

Richards John, farmer, Carvosa

Roach Robert, stone mason, Baldue

Roach Robert, farmer, Truthall

Rogers Abraham, builder, Canons town

Rogers John, farmer, Rosevidney

Rowse William, farmer, Tregellas

Rubery Trevennen, farmer, Colloryan

Rubery William, carpentr. Canons town

Semmens Geo. farmer, Ludgvan lease

Stevens Christopher, White Hart inn

Thomas Hy. Shackly, farmer, Truthall

Thomas James, farmer, Croft Hooper

Tilly Charles, farmer, Rosevidney

Tilly John, farmer, Bowjyhere

Trembath Grace (Mrs.), frmr. Manwindd

Trembath James, farmer, Manwidden

Trembath William, farmer, Chellew

Trewhella Matthew, farmer, Trenowin

Trewhella William, shoe maker

Trythall William, farmer, Villanoweth

Vingoe John, farmer, Cargease

White Henry, farmer, Trevorrow

White Nicholas, farmer, Tremenhere

White William, tin stamping mills, Curcuryan

White William, farmer, Boswase

Williams Richard, brick & tile maker, Newtown brick works


Williams Zechariah


Bailey John, grocer

Bennetts Robert, Star inn

Carne Thomas, farmer

Edwards William, smith

Giles Joseph, relieving officer for Western division

Hocking William, carpenter

Jenkin James, shoe maker

Morris Richard, grocer

Ninnas[sic] Frederick, grocer

Pearce James, farmer

Pearce Richard, grocer, & Post office

Phillip Joseph, basket maker

Sampson Thomas, rate collector

Williams Francis, boot maker

Williams William, boot maker

More about Ludgvan

More from Kelly’s 1883