Extracts from the introduction

The West Cornwall railway branches off [from the Cornwall railway] a short distance south of Truro to Redruth, Camborne, St. Ives and Penzance, the extreme western limit of the railway communication in England, and this is now regarded as the westward extension of the main line, the real extension of the Cornwall railway from Truro to Falmouth being treated as a branch.

The county for parliamentary purposes is in two parts, the Eastern and Western divisions, each returning two members to parliament;

The Parliamentary Boroughs are:—

Members. Pop. 1881
St. Ives 1 8,705

The Municipal Boroughs are:—

The Superintendent Registrar’s Districts are:—

No. Name. Area. Pop. 1881
301 Penzance 64,922 49,622

The following are the unions of the county, with the places contained in each:—

Gulval St. Hilary
Ludgvan St. Ives
Madron St. Just in Penwith
Marazion St. Levan
Morvah St. Michael’s Mount
Paul Sancreed
Penzance Borough Sennen
Perran-uthnoe Towednack
St. Buryan Uny Lelant
St. Erth Zennor

The Hundreds and Petty Sessional Divisions are co-extensive.

The following is a list of the Hundreds with the places in each:—

Hundred of Penwith:—Camborne, Crowan, Gulval, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Paul, Penzance, Perran-uthnoe, Phillack, Redruth, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ive{s], St. Just-in-Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael’s Mount, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny Lelant, Zennor.

The West Cornwall Infirmary, Penzance, established in 1874, and the Dispensary, an older institution, dating from 1809, now form one establishment in St. Clare street, containing 12 beds, with an average of 90 in-patients and 1,256 out-patients; it is supported by voluntary contributions, and is efficiently conducted: James Barclay Montgomery M.D. physician; Wm. Shepheard Bennett, Francis Boase, John Quiller Couch, Wm. Hy. Dodge, Geo. Bown Millett, L.R.C.P.Edin. John Quick and Jas. Richard Quick, L.R.C.P.Edin. consulting surgeons; Henry Grenfell, surgeon; C. C. Ross, M.P. hon.sec.; Wm. Harvey Julyan, assist. sec.

Members of Parliament for the County.

Western division, Sir. John St. Aubyn bart. B.A. D.L., J.P. St. Michaelrsquo;s Mount, Marazion, Cornwall; and Oxford and Cambridge, Brooks’ and Travellers’ clubs, London s w.; Arthur Pendarves Vivian esq. Glandfon, Tailbach, South Wales; Glendorgall, St. Coloumb Minor; and 26 James street, Buckingham gate, and Brooks’ and St. James’ clubs, London, s w.

Polling Places

Appointed August 7th, 1872, pursuant to the “Ballot Act, 1872.”

Western Division.
St. Just in Penwith

Marked thus ‡ are places at which the Revising Barristers hold their Courts.

Coroners for the County:—Western district, G. P. Grenfell, Penzance.


The Land’s End Granite lies seven miles due west of that last named; its area is about 65 square miles: Heights Hill, north west of Towednack, 805 feet; Castle-an-Dinas, 735 feet.



Superintendent, Henry Miller, Camborne

Inspector, Henry James, Chyandower.

Borough Police.

Penzance. Head Constable, John Olds.

St. Ives. Head Constable, James Bennetts.


Parish directories

More directories