NEWLYN (near Penzance) is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1848 from the parishes of Madron and St. Paul, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro, 1 mile south-west of Penzance, on the sea coast of Tolcarne stream. The church of St. Newelina, or St. Peter, rebuilt in 1865–6 is a building of granite in the Early English style; it consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south transept, or Trisilian aisle, north transept, or Cargol manor aisle, and south porch, with parvise and an embattled tower with pinacles containing 5 bells, the monuments include one to the Arundell family, dated 1691: there is a stained window in the chancel to the Rev. James Jenkins Keigwin B.A. a former curate, 1829, and Anne, his wife, 1839, and another in the nave. [This is a description of the church of Newlyn East.] The church will seat 400 persons. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £150 with residence, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Truro alternately, and held since 1874 by the Rev. Wladislaw Somerville Lach-Szyrma M.A., of Brazenose College, Oxford, F.R.H.S. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1834, and enlarged in 1866, at a total cost of £2,250, it will seat upwards of 750 persons. The charities for distribution are valuable, amounting in all to about £100 yearly, and there are several almshouses founded November 10th, 1848, by Mr. William Searle, of Trafele, in this parish. This is the chief fishing station of Mount’s Bay, and maintains a fleet of about 400 boats, engaged in the mackerel and pilchard fisheries. During the 20 years between 1852 and 1872, a yearly average of 6 millions (or about 1,900 tons) of mackerel, and about 13,500 hogsheads of pilchards, were brought in to this station. The principal landowners are Messrs. Thomas Simon and William Bolitho esqrs. the Misses Carne, and Charles Day Nicholls Le Grice esq. J.P. D.L. The soil is light, resting on granite rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats and roots, with some pasturage. The area is 386 acres; and the population in 1881 was 3,686.

Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office, Jack lane.—Miss Elizabeth Johns, postmistress. Letters through Penzance arrive at 9.40 a.m. & 4.30 p.m.; dispatched at 7.30 a.m. & 2.20 & 7.20 p.m.


National (girls & infants), supported by the vicar, voluntary contributions & school fees; H. Roberts, master; Miss M. A. Mackay, mistress

Wesleyan (mixed), built, with master’s residence, in 1858, at a cost of £1,000, of which £400 was granted by Government; there are about 260 children on the books; the school is supported by Government grant, voluntary contributions & school fees; William Bryant, master; Miss Emily Hockaday, mistress


Aplin Capt. Philip, 6 Alexandra terrace

Boase John, Paul hill

Bone Miss, Clifton place

Foster Mrs., Antoine villa

Geard Mrs. Chypons villa

Hitchens Mrs. Clifton place

Lach-Szyrma Rev. Wladislaw Somerville M.A., F.R.H.S. Vicarage

Langley William, Pembroke house

Maskell Wm. J.P., D.L. 1 Alexandra ter

Pickells Rev. Charles [Wesleyan], Belle vue

Preston Rev. George Henry, 2 Alexandra terrace

Richards Mrs. Clifton place

Roberts Mrs. Paul hill

Robinson Sir George Abercrombie bart. 9 Alexandra terrace

Rogers Emanuel, Coombe

Sullivan John, Fradgen

Thomas Miss, Clifton place

Tregarthen Mrs. Fradgen

Trewavas Mrs. 4 Alexandra terrace

Vingoe Mrs. Clifton terrace


Ball William, lodging house, 7 Alexandra terrace

Baines Benjamin, market gardener, Clifton terrace

Batten John, fish merchant, Green st

Batten Joseph, shopkeeper, Coombe

Bennett Christopher, Red Lion,Fore st

Blackwell George (Mrs.), lodging house, 8 Alexandra terrace

Bodinar Joseph, builder, Prospect place

Bradbeer Benjamin Masterson, fish, net & cork merchant, Fore street

Carter Wm. shopkpr. Street-an-Nowan

Cattern James Phillips, master mariner, Antoine terrace

Cornwall Thomas (Mrs.), lodging house, 5 Alexandra terrace

Chirgwin Samuel, farmer, Coombe

Curnow Thomas & James, market gardeners, Coombe

Davis John, cooper, Fore street

Downing Simon, cooper, Clifton terrace

Dusting Martha (mrs.), Three Tuns, Fore street

Harris William, shopkeeper, Fore street

Harvey James Richard, fish merchant

Harvey Richard, fish mercht. Clifton ter

Harvey Thomas, master mariner, Antoine terrace

Hichens John, seine owner, Green st

Hooper Charles, cooper, Jack lane

Hoskin Thomas, shopkeeper, Jack lane

James Henry, Dolphin Inn, Jack lane

Jenkin John, accountant, Rose cottage, Church lane

Jenkin Maria (Mrs.), shopkpr. Tolcarne

Kelynack Jane (Mrs.), shopkpr. Fradgen

Kelynack Richd. shopkeeper, Fradgen

Kelynack Richard Boase, master mariner, Bellevue

Kelynack William (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Duke street

Kitchen Henry, shopkeepr, Duke street

Lavin Edward (Mrs.), lodging house, The orchards

Maddern Henry, carpenter, Bellevue

Maddern John, market gardener, Jack lane

Maddern Rd. market gardener, Bellevue

Maddern William, rope maker, Jack la

Marrack Catherine (mrs.), Union inn, Union street

Mounts Bay Fishing Boats Mutual Insurance Club (R. Toman, sec.), Tolcarn

Newlyn & Gulval Ice Works Co. (Wm. Polglase, man)

Nicholls Jane (Mrs.), baker, Jack lane

North Charles, farmer, Coombe

Olds Peter (Mrs.), butcher, Old Bridge

Peacock Frederick & Co. fish merchants, Fore street

Payne Samuel, Fisherman’s Arms, Fore st

Peake Wm. wheelwright, Tolcarne ter

Pearce Thos. fish merchant, Clifton ter

Polglase Wm. Thos. shopkpr. Fore street

Reseigh John, shopkeeper, Fore street

Richards John & Thomas, fish merchants, Trewarwith street

Richards Andrew, shoe maker, Tolcarne

Richard James, tea dealer, Florence pl

Richards John, master mariner, Clifton ter

Richards Stephen (Mrs.), cooper, Clifton terrace

Roberts William Chas. market gardener

Rouffignac Prudence (Miss), shopkeeper, Fore street

Rowe Richard, smith, Tolcarne

Runnalls James, stone crushing mills

Simons Charles, boot & shoe ma. Fore st

Smith Jn. Henry, rope maker, Bowgey

Sullivan Anthony, cooper, Street-an-Nowan

Sullivan John, Star, Wharf

Thomas & Blewett, iron founders, Mounts Bay foundry

Thomas John, shopkeeper, Jack lane

Thomas Peter, builder &c. Green street

Thomas Rebecca (Mrs.), ladies’ school, Antoine terrace

Toman John (Mrs.), grocer, Chapel st

Tonkin William, farmer, Lyn vue

Trahair William Henry, grocer, &c. Fore street

Trereife Smelting Works (James H. Williams, manager)

Trevaskis James, Tolcarne inn, Tolcarne

Trevennen Wm. market gardenr. Coombe

Wallis Wm. farmer & carpentr. Tolcarne

Warren Richard, shipwright, Tolcarne

Warren Thomas, grocer, Jack lane

Weeks John, builder, Westholm

White James, mason, Church street

Wills Jn. master mariner, Antoine ter

More about Paul & Madron

More from Kelly’s 1883