The following description is lifted directly from [Blight 1885] but note that the text was prepared for the Gentleman’s Magazine 1862-64 and is largely unaltered. It must be read in the context of that date. The drawings are by the author.
The church of ST. LUDGVAN, ST. LUDOWANUS, occupies a commanding station two miles eastward of St. Gulval. No finer view of Mount’s Bay can be had than from the roof of the tower. The church is of some interest to Cornishmen, as it contains the monument of Dr. Borlase, the eminent county antiquary, and for many years Rector of the parish. In this parish also was Sir Humphry Davy born, and there is a tablet in the church to the memory of the father and mother of the great philosopher.
Architecturally, the church is of little interest it has chancel, nave with western tower, and north and south aisles, with a south porch.
The bowl of the font appears to be the sole relic of earlier work; it has a cable moulding, scolloped sides, and a rude tooth-ornament above. Its date is probably transition from Norman to Early English a.
The tower is fully developed, of three stages buttressed on square at the angles; the belfry lights resemble those at St. Gulval; and the parapet, pinnacles, and gurgoyles are like those at St. Germoe b The tower-arch is panelled.
Rudely formed figures of the Crucifixion, with St. Andrew and other saints, are inlaid with coloured woods in the panels of the pulpit.
(a) See “Week at the Land's End,” p. 226.
(b) See the book from which these extracts are taken, p. 115.
[The book continues with other West Cornwall churches, the next in this district being Lelant.]
More about Ludgvan