St. IVES, CORNWALL
THE PORTHIA ESTATE
The Property of
MRS. KATE BULLIVANT
Particulars, Plans and
Conditions of Sale
in the Parishes of
ST. IVES, TOWEDNACK AND ZENNOR
embracing and area of about
Comprising Valuable Dairy Farms, Small Holdings, Cottage
Accomodation Lands, Etc.,
To be offered for Sale by
Messrs. BLAMEYS, LIMITED, Auctioneers
in conjunction with
Messrs. LOFTS and WARNER, Land and Estate Agents,
THE DRILL HALL, ST. IVES
Friday, September 19th, 1930
at 2.30 P.M.
This is a large format booklet published by the auctioneer,
Blameys Ltd. of Truro. There should be a map but this was missing
in the copy I have seen. Thanks are due to John Berriman of St.
Ives for the source material and additional information from
I am told that the property was part of the Edward Hain estate which Mrs. Bullivant inherited
on the death of Edward Hain jnr. who was killed in action during
I am happy to provide full details of any lot to
By lot number…
- Burthallan Farm (St. Ives). 24a. 1r. 31p. Let to Mrs.
HAMILTON and Messrs. M. MAJOR, J. BERRIMAN, and P. HUSBAND.
Dwelling house let to Mrs. HAMILTON. Buildings.
- Consols Farm (Hellesvean, St. Ives). 125a. 1r. 24p. Let to
Messrs. P. HUSBAND, J. BERRIMAN, and Messrs. BERRIMAN Bros.
House, outbuildings and two cottages (one let to BERRIMAN
- Hellesveor Farm (St. Ives). 74A. 3r. 35p. Let to Messrs
BERRIMAN Bros. and Mr. John BERRIMAN. House, two cottages, one
occupied by Mr. Jno. BERRIMAN, buidings, a portion being
occupied by Mr. Jno. BERRIMAN.
- Trowan Farm (St. Ives). 56 a. 1r. 18p. Let to Miss BERRIMAN
and Mr. T. H. MARTINS. The house is newly erected, stone built
and slate roofed and contains 5 bedrooms, 2 kitches, parlour, 2
pantrys, dairy. I believe this is one of the farm houses
built by Sir. Edward Hain. Two cottages, one let to Mr. T.
H. MARTINS. Thomas Henry MARTINS had a tenancy agreement
dated 18 Sep 1925. Outbuildings. This lot was
purchased by Peter Husband BERRIMAN, Thomas BERRIMAN and Samuel
BERRIMAN (presumably BERRIMAN Bros. of the schedule). I have a
copy of the bill of sale for £2,100. There is also a note
to the effect that Thomas BERRIMAN bought out the grazing,
water and common rights over Trowan Cliff from Mrs. A. A.
CARBINES (then owner of Lot. 7) in 1944. The cliff was recently
sold to the National Trust
- Folly Farm (St. Ives). 60a. 0r. 24p. Let to Mr. R.
CARBINES, and garden let to Messrs. BERRIMAN Bros. House,
cottage & outbuildings.
Lot 5A. Blacksmith Shop and Land (Hellesvean, St. Ives). 1r 8p.
Let to Mr. Isaac PEARCE.
Lot 5B. Freehold Cottage, Gardens & Premises (Hellesveor
Moor, Hellesvean, St. Ives) known as “White House”
1r 15p. in the occupation of Mr. J. B. JAMES
Lot 5C. Three Enclosures of Land (Hellesveor Moor, Hellesvean,
St. Ives). 3a 3r 13p. in the occupation of Mr. James
Lot 5D. Freehold Cottage, Garden, & Premises (Hellesvean,
St. Ives). 31p. i the occupation of Mrs. NANKERVIS
Lot 5E. (portion of) Hellesveor Moor (Hellesvean, St. Ives) 9a.
Lot 5F. Semi-Detached Bungalow (Consols, St. Ives). 33p. in the
occupation of Mr. F. HAMPTON.
Lot 5G. Semi-Detached Bungalow (Consols, St. Ives). 22p. in the
occupation of Mr. E. J. WILLIAMS.
Lot 5H. Large Building now used as a coal and manure store and
church room[!]. 6p. in the occupation of Mr. ANTHONY and the
Parochial Church Council (the latter rent free).
Lot 5I. Garrage and Yard (Consols, St. Ives). 11p. in the
occupation of Mr. J. PARKER.
Lot 5K. Waste Land (Consols, St. Ives). 3a.
- Estover Farm (St. Ives). 72a. 0r. 28p. Let to Mr. James
WEARNE and Mr. J. BERRIMAN. House and buildings.
- Trevalgan Farm (St. Ives). 132a. 0r. 22p. Let to Mr. J. W.
EDDY. House and Buildings.
- Little Trevalgan Farm (St. Ives and Towednack). 66a. 2r.
7p. Let to Mr. J. S. WARREN. Farmhouse, buildinga and
- Trevega Wartha Farm (mostly in Towednack) 111a. 2r. 38p.
Let to Mr. A. HOLLOW [Arthur Thomas whose daughter Isabella
was the wife of Mr. LOOSEMOOR the tenant of lot (11)].
House, buildings, thatched cottage (known as
“Poynter’s Cottage”) in Trevega village.
- Dairy Farm (Towednack, known as Part Trevega Wartha). 78a.
3r. 13p. in the occupation of Mr. HOLLOW. Dwellinghouse and
- Freehold Small-holding (Towednack and Zennor, Part Trevega
Wartha). 45a. 3r. 5p. Let to Mr. LOOSEMOOR. Cottage. image
- Trevega Farm (Towednack). 53a. 0r. 25p. Let to Mr. R.
CRAZE. House and outbuildings.
- Treveal Farm (Zennor). 148a. 0r. 2p. Let to Messrs. J.
& H. G. SEMMENS, and D. HOCKING. House, buildings,
- Boscubben Farm (Zennor). 58a. 0r. 31p. Let to Mr. D.
HOCKING and Messrs. J. & H. G. SEMMENS. House and
- Wicca Farm (Towednack). 202a. 0r. 37p. Let to Mr. W. HOLLOW
[William son of Arthur Thomas (lot 9). William's sister,
Sarah, married Samuel NANKERVIS who purchased this lot for
£2400.]. House, buildings and cottage. image
- Trendrine Farm (Zennor). 190a. 2r. 7p. Let to Mr. A. C.
EDDY. House, buildings and cottage.
- Trevessa Farm (Towednack). 83a. 2r. 21p. Let to Messrs. J.
and T. NICHOLAS. House and buildings.
- Breja Farm (Towednack). 119a. 0r. 7p. Let to Mr. W. J.
HOLLOW. House and buildings.
Lot 18A. Breja Common (Towednack). 4a. 2r. 36p. image
- Churchtown, Beagletodn and Skillywadden Farms (Towednack).
253a. 1r. 28p. and Common and Moor Lands 44a. 3r. 27p. Let to
Mr. H. DUNSTAN. House, buildings and 3 cottages (at Churchtown
and Beagletodn). Dwellinghouse and buildings (at Skillywadden).
Together with three equal undivided eighth shares of Amalveor
Downs 155a and ditto Skillywadden Moor 7a.
- Chytodden Farm (Towednack). 62a. 0r. 22p. Let to Mr.
Christopher HOLLOW. House and buildings. [Purchased by the
- Cold Harbour Cottage, and Three Enclosures of Land
(Towednack). 5a. 0r. 39p. in the occupation of Messrs. J.
HOLLOW and H. DUNSTAN. image
- Amalveor Farm (Towednack). 68a. 0r. 12p. Let to Mr. A. W.
HOLLOW [Augustus William, father of Christopher (lot
20)]. House and buildings. Together with two equal
undivided eighth shares of Amalveor Downs 155a. image
- Lower Amalwhidden Farm (Towednack). 34a. 2r. 29p. Let to
Mr. J. W. HOLLOW [Wilfred, brother of Christopher (lot
20)]. House and buildings. Together with two equal
undivided eighth shares of Skillywadden Moor 7a. image
- Coldharbour Farm (Towednack). 21a. 3r. 19p. Let to Mr. Hugh
DUNSTAN. House and buildings. Together with the remaining
portions of Coldharbour Moor 10a.
- Lower and Highr Penderleath (Towednack). 141a. 2r. 12p.
Lower Penderleath let to Miss CURNOW and Higher Penderleath let
to Mr. T. H. EDDY. Lower—Two cottages, buildings and
cottage at Cripplesease in the occupation of Mrs. WARREN.
Higher—House and buildings. Together with the Penderleath
Common 2a. 3r. 31p.
More Manors and