ST. IVES, CORNWALL
DOMESTIC AND OUTDOOR OFFICES
Coachhouse and Stabling premises
The Farm Premises
THE KITCHEN GROUNDS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS
Woods and plantations
Numerous Farm Houses and Homesteads
Several Dwelling Houses, Cottages
£1,668 PER ANNUM
THE MANOR OF DINAS IA AND PORTH IA
To be sold by auction on
31 October, 1871
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|
This is a large format booklet published by the auctioneers, Messrs. Driver of London. It contains a map (not seen yet) marked to show the bounds of the property. All the property concerned is in the parishes of St. Ives and Uny Lelant and totals about 470 acres freehold which was sold as one lot. Also included are the manor of Dynas Ia & Porth Ia which are described in great detail including all the leaseholders, lives and tenants—virtually a census of St. Ives for 1871 which can be compared with the official census. Also included, are some details of the manor of Lelant & Trevethow, some Mine Setts owned by the estate and some leasehold property held under Lord Wellesley
The vendor is not stated, but presumably the sale occured on the death of the head of the STEPHENS family. The eventual purchasor of the castle was the British Transport Board who turned it into the Tregenna Castle Hotel (which is still there) but haven’t yet discovered what happend to the rest of the property.
I am happy to provide full details of any property to researchers. Thanks are due to Mike Kiernan for providing the source material.
THE CASTLE, with its appurtances, park, lodge, glen, pasture grounds, gardens, woods, plantations, and lands in hand 90 Acres, 1 Rood, 20 Perches. The castle is an imposing castellated edifice, very substantially built of granite, and well finished in all respects. The walls are exceedingly thick and impervious to wet and atmousphere.
The roof is stated, with lead ridges, and the whole is in capital order and repair.
It is charmingly placed on an eminence, in its own park-like grounds, facing the Atlantic, and commands very extensive Views of the Town and harbour, and the magnificent bays of St. Ives with its distant coast; also Godrevy Island with lighthouse.
It is well screened by woods and plantations, and as a summer and autumn residence is unequalled, and (being of granite) is exceedingly warm and comfortable as a winter residence.
The ground floor:—outer and inner hall, billiard room, dining room, drawing room with conservatory, library, via back hall to the magistrates’ room, dressing room adjoining a bedroom and fireproof deed room & W.C. In the south wing:—a school room, W.C., linen closet, passage room, three bedrooms and access to the yard.
On the upper floor in the main building:—three pairs of bedrooms each with a dressing room and lobby. In the north wing:—with a separate staircase, a bedroom with dressing room and two servant’s rooms. In the south wing:—A bedroom with dressing room and W.C. and day & night nurseries.
In the basement:—kitchen (stone paved), smoke jack, dairy, scullery, larder, knife and boot cleaning places, beer cellar, butler’s pantry, plate closet with iron door, wine cellars. A servants hall, housekeeper’s room, W.C. and coal cellars.
Adjoining is a paved coach yard, loose box, six stall stable, harness room, hay loft and three sleeping rooms for men servants. A coach house, harness room, another six-stall stable, three loose boxes, a four-stall stable with harness room and three more rooms for servants.
A clock tower with turret clock.
Adjoining is the FARM YARD of stable for six cart horses, carpenter’s workshop, granery, poultry house, open cart shed, two cow houses, furnace house, calves and slaughter houses, piggeries, enclosed wood yard and a drying ground for the house.
THE GARDENS—walled kitchen garden with fruit trees, pigeon house, aviary, a water tank and grapery. Another walled kitchen garden with fruit trees, apple room and a sitting room. Melon and cucumber pits, well stocked orchard and vegetable garden with a gardener’s house.
THE ROOKERY and pleasure grounds with shubberies and home grounds with well laid out walks and drives. TREGENNA PARK well studded with timber and plantations and two carriage drives one with an entrance lodge.
Also dwelling houses, public houses, cottages, lands and premises in the town of St. Ives, Treloyhan and Chyangweale
|No. on Plan||Description of Premises||Tenant||Remarks|
|Pt.1639||Dwelling house and garden||James RICH||Yearly Tenant|
|In LITTLE TREGENNA|
|Dwelling house and garden||Stephen PENBERTHY||Do.|
|1685||Two dwelling houses and gardens||Christopher NICHOLLS
|Two dwelling houses and gardens||John JENKINS
|In ST. IVES TOWN|
|The Fire Engine house in Fore Street||[Note, this is mentioned and accounted twice]|
|The MANSION HOUSE in Tregenna Place and Fore Street (a capital old-fashioned stone-built residence), with ground floor and one floor above, now used as the office of the estate, and as the dwelling house of the baliff or sub-manager; with front garden and also a kitchen garden and summer house and premises on the other side of Fore Street||Thomas WILLIAMS and in hand||Do.|
|Adjoining the above Mansion House and forming part thereof is a dwelling house and shop in Fore Street with stable and loft||Ann Williams WALL||14 years from Lady Day 1865|
|Also adjoining is a Fire Engine House||St. Ives Lighting Inspectors||Tearly Tenancy|
|Also adjoining the said Mansion House is a dwelling house in Tregenna Place||Samuel THOMAS||Yearly Tenant|
|The “CASTLE” Public House situate in Fore Street St. Ives with rear premises||Matilda WEARNE||Do.|
|The “VICTORY” Public House situate in Fore Street St. Ives and a room adjoining the “White Hart”||George RICHARDS
|7 years from Christmas 1865
|Part of dwelling house adjoining ditto||Emanuel BRYANT|
|Dwelling house near the Wharf and over a fish cellar out on a lease to Mrs. HOCKING||Vacant|
|Adjoining are two dwelling houses||Thomas HODGE and Mrs. HUMB||Do.|
|A small dwelling at Bunker’s Hill and over a fish stoor out on a lease to Captain TREWELLA||Vacant|
|Two small dwellings and a fish store below situate in the Digey||William WILLIAMS
|Nearly joining the above and in the Digey is a fish store and small dwelling above||Captain RICHARDS
|Three small dwellings in Virgin Street excepting two rooms at the rear which are out on a lease to Mr. ROUSE||William STEVENS
|Dwelling house in Polkinghorne Lane||George CHAPMAN||Do.|
|A small dwelling also in Polkinghorne Lane||Richard TREVETHNICK||Do.|
|Adjoining in Polkinghorne Lane is a dwelling house and garden let out in three tenements, but one is empty||Eliza COOK and others||Do.|
|Also a stable adjoining, also empty||Vacant|
|Also in Polkinghorne Lane is a small dwelling||Miss JOHN||Yearly Tenant|
|The Lime House or shed in St. Andrew’s Street and a carpenters shop over||In hand
|Small dwelling house in St. Andrew’s Street (late Matilda CARES)||William NANKERVIS||Do.|
|1163||Garden in St. Ives Town||Thomas BAWDEN||Do.|
|Dwelling house and cellar||James BRYANT||Do.|
|Ditto Chy-an-chy||Grace SANDERS||Do.|
|At the rear of the Wesleyan Schools is an old building now in ruins and which is to be taken down and the site let for dwellings||Vacant|
|The Electric Telegraph Posts in various places in St. Ives and Uny Lelant||Electric Telegraph Company|
|1313||The WESTERN HOTEL with coach house, stables, yard and prenises situate in Gabriel Street, St. Ives||Richard HODGE||7 years from Michaelmas 1866|
|1189||Garden in St. Ives (late SINCOCK)||Lord WELLESLEY||Yearly Tenancy|
|42 and 43, cottage, garden and plot||Sampson BAMFIELD||Yearly tenant|
One undivided moiety of a tenement in CARNINNEY (in the parish of Uny Lelant) with a like interest in the minerals 25 Acres, 0 Roods, 17 Perches. Let to and in the occupation of Mr. Samuel HIGGS for 14 years from Michaelmas 1869.
This concludes the freehold property. There follows a detailed description of the Manor of Dynas Ia and Porth Ia including all the leaseholders, lives and tenants.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|
More Manors and Estates