This is a transcript of part of the 1841 Census for the Hundred of Penwith. I acknowledge the assistance of the Free-CEN team, without whose help this would not have been possible, particularly Michael McCormick and Kay Hinnrichsen, the Cornwall Co-ordinators. This copy of the transcript (the bulk of which was done by others) includes additional material not required by FreeCEN.
Hundred of Penwith, Registrar’s District of Penzance
|Class/Piece/Book||Registrar’s Sub-District||EDs||Short description|
|HO107/141/9||St. Buryan||1–5||St. Buryan|
|HO107/142/10||Uny Lelant||6–9||Uny Lelant|
|HO107/143/1||Penzance||1–3||Madron, Chapelry & Borough of Penzance—1|
|HO107/143/2||Penzance||4–6||Madron, Chapelry & Borough of Penzance—2|
|HO107/143/3||Penzance||7–9||Madron, Chapelry & Borough of Penzance—3|
|HO107/143/4||Penzance||10–12 & Institution||Madron, Chapelry & Borough of Penzance, Penzance Borough Gaol|
|HO107/143/7||Penzance||Institution||Madron, Penzance Union Workhouse|
|HO107/143/8||St. Just in Penwith||1 (part)||Morvah|
|HO107/144/1||Uny Lelant||St. Erth|
|HO107/144/2||Marazion||St. Hilary, Marazion|
|HO107/144/5||St. Ives||1–4||St. Ives—1 (Town)|
|HO107/144/6||St. Ives||5–7||St. Ives—2 (Town)|
|HO107/144/7||St. Ives||8–10||St. Ives—3 (Outer parish)|
|HO107/144/8||St. Just in Penwith||1 (part) & 2–3||St. Just—1|
|HO107/144/9||St. Just in Penwith||4–6||St. Just—2|
|HO107/144/10||St. Just in Penwith||7–8||St. Just—3|
|HO107/144/11||St. Just in Penwith||9–10||St. Just—4|
|HO107/144/12||St. Buryan||6–7||St. Levan|
|HO107/144/13||Marazion||Extra Parochial St. Michael’s Mount|
|HO107/144/14||St. Just in Penwith||11–13||Sancreed|
How to read the data
All the data is in the order of the census book i.e. "as-enumerated". It is presented in CSV (comma separated variables) format due to the unpredictable line lengths. This can be readily cut and pasted into a file accepted by most spreadsheet and database programs. The columns are described as follows, largely following the actual pages of the enumerator's book.
- HOUSES. This corresponds to two columns in the book, Uninhabited (U.) or Building (B.) and Inhabited. A subtle difference in this transcript is that it does not distinguish between houses and households due to a limitation of the database.
- NAMES each person who abode therein the preceding night.
- AGE and SEX, Males
- ditto, Females (one of these fields should be blank! All ages of adults should be rounded down to the nearest multiple of five.)
- PROFESSION, TRADE, EMPLOYMENT or of INDEPENDENT MEANS
- WHERE BORN, Whether born in same county, Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts (two columns in the book)
Columns A and B (3 columns in the book) are only filled in at the start of each household.
Ditto entries are replaced with the actual values propagated from above.
Entries in italics Thus are where the reading was doubtful.
Other than as stated, everything is included as written.