The following description is lifted directly from [Polsue 1868]. It must be read in the context of that date. Other extracts are available online.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|
More about Gulval
THE parish of Gulval, otherwise Lanesly, is situated in the deanery and hundred of Penwith; it is bounded on the north by Zennor, the detached portion of Madron, which it nearly surrounds, and Towednack; on the east by Ludgvan; on the south by the Mount’s Bay; and on the west by Madron. The benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.
The estimated tithable lands of the parish amount to 4230 acres; of which 1160A. are arable; 2320A. pasture ; 750A. are commons, downs, and crofts.
The tithes were commuted in 1843, at £635, which is apportioned as follows, namely,
|To the Vicar||£361 0 0|
|" James Blencowe, Anne Cranmer, his wife, and Dame Ellen Riggs Miller, in equal moities.||£254 0 0|
|" C. V. Le Grice, in lieu of his moiety of the great tithes of the estate called Girsplew||£20 0 0|
The parish comprises by actual measurement 4357A. 0R. 5P.; out of this there is a good glebe which measures 21 A. 3R. 7P. on which there is an impropriate rent-charge of £6; the church and churchyard 2R. 33P. ; and the public roads 40A. 3R. 0P.
The following list of vicars is preserved:—William Allsa, 1536; Richard Veale, said to be the first Protestant vicar of this parish, died in 1625; Peter Cooper, 1636; James Whitaker, 1640; Thomas Paule, 1660; John Hinson, 1677; Philip Hicks, 1700; John Penhellick, 1730; Samuel Harness, 1733; John Penneck, senior, 1773; John Penneck, junior, 1789; John Cole, afterwards D.D. and rector of Exeter college, 1818; Robert Dillon, he had been vicar of Bodmin, which he resigned Nov. 17, 1817, 1839; and the present vicar, the Rev. William Wriothesley Wingfield, instituted May 30, 1839.
[Alternatives were obtained from Index of Clergy, a card index by Mrs. J. S. Rolfe, extracted from LDS film 1472028/4 by Michelle Kahler and posted to CORNISH-L August 1999. The discrepancy is so great, that they are listed here without further comment.]
Collect Cornub. 1396.7 Henderson E5. 1297 TREMENHEERE, William. 1386 JORDAN, Thomas. 1395 VORN, John. 1395/6 PROFYNT, John. 1413 STRYKE, Nicholas. 1513 HARRYS, John. 1536 ALLBA, William. 1570 TRIPCONY, John. 1575 GUSTON, Henry. 1585 VEALE, Richard. c1601 VEALE, Richard. 1631 COOPER, Peter. 1636 WHITAKER, James. Died 1640.
James WHITTAKER S.TB, instituted 16 Aug 1636 to GULVALL als DANESLY V. On death of Peter COOPER.Patron — The King.
c1640 TUCKER, Richard. Also mentioned on a separate card as TOOKER. 1645 KITT, Henry. Also mentioned on a separate card as KEET. c1660 PAULE, Thomas. 1660 HINSON, John. 1667 HICKS, Philip. 1699 PENHALLICK, John. 1724 HARNESS, Samuel. 1733 PENNECK, John. (1) 1754 PEARCE, Richard. Curate. 1772 PENNECK, John. (2) 1790 COLE, John. 1796 STEVENS, John Nicholls. Curate. 1802 WILLIAMS, Anthony. Curate. 1803 COLE, Samuel. Curate. c1810 VEALE, William. 1813 DILLON, Robert. 1813 MORRIS, George. Curate. 1839 WINGFIELD, W.W.D.
William Wriothesley Digby WINGFIELD B.A., Vicar of GULVAL, 30 May 1839.Presentation of the Lord Chancellor — Inipropriator, W.M.BLANCE. Born in LONDON, 1814.Married 20 April 1840, Elizabeth Ann FORTESQUE of ESSEX.
The church [Picture] is dedicated to S. Gudwal, a British saint who flourished in this diocese in the sixth century; his feast was kept on June 6; in an ancient calendar he is styled bishop of S. Malo. It is divided into a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The chancel has a very handsome window of painted glass; the subjects are the Good Samaritan, and Touching the hem of His garment. On a brass below is the following inscription,—To the Glory of God and in memory of William Bolitho, Esq., of Ponsandane. Born 11 August mdcclxxiii, died xx February mdccclvi. And Phillippa his wife, Born 1 August mdcclxix, died iv March mdcccxlv. this window is erected by their only son Richard Foster Bolitho.
In the south wall of the chancel are a piscina and sedile, and in the north wall a credence table.
In the nave is a good oak pulpit. The arcade comprises six slightly pointed arches of granite, supported on octagonal monolith pillars of the same material. In a niche opposite the south door is a brass plate, placed there by the vicar, thus inscribed.—This Parish Church was re-seated and partially restored in the year of our lord, 1857. T.H.Wyatt, arch.t
The south aisle has some good windows of painted glass. The east window represents the Last Supper, Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ascension; on a brass underneath is the following inscription:—This window is erected to the glory of God, and in memory of Thomas Bolitho, (of Coombe,) who died 11th January, 1858; aged 92 years. And of his wife Maria, who died 8th November, 1853; aged 72 years. And of their daughter Mary, who died 25th November, 1844; aged 41 years.
Also to the memory of Thomas Bolitho, father of the abovenamed Thomas. He died 11th March, 1807; aged 67 years. And of his wife Catharine, who died 18th May, 1821 ; aged 84 years.
A handsome south window representing Christ and the doctors, and His baptism, has this inscription,—To the glory of God, and in affectionate memory of William Wingfield Baker, of Orsett Hall, in the county of Essex, Esq.re, Q.C. This window is erected by his children. He died at Sherborne Castle on the 21st of March, 1858; in the 86th year of his age, and was buried at Orsett. Esse quam videri.
A single light south window, representing the Flight into Egypt, is inscribed,—To the glory at God, and in affectionate memory of William Wingfield Baker, Esq.re, Q.C. This window is erected by his widow.
The west window of the aisle represents in rich colours the infancy of the Saviour; it is inscribed,—This window is erected to the glory of God, and in memory of Darell Jago, Captain Royal Artillery, died 22nd December, 1850; aged 55 years. Susan his wife, died 8th December, 1855; aged 54 years. And their children, John Darell, B.A., Balliol College, Oxford; died 1st August, 1854; aged 23 years. And Francis Howe; died 13th January, 1855 ; aged 19 years. Looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
The transept is separated from the nave by two arches, similar to those of the arcade.
The font is of granite, it consists of a round bowl, supported on a moulded shaft. On the bowl are sculptured four shields of arms, one of which displays Kymyel impaling St. Aubyn. About the year 1842, the font stood in front of the communion table. The church has a south porch and a priest’s door.
The tower has a plain soffit arch springing from coved abaci, and supported by a chamfered sub-arch with octagonal imposts.
The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; at the angles immediately under the pinnacles are sculptured figures, probably intended to represent the evangelists. There are three bells; one is dated, 1640, another has this inscription:—IIle o ring o allways o my o makers o prayes. Between every word is the head of Charles II., with the legend, Carolus ii. Dei gratia, like a coin of the period, and about the size of a shilling. The frame of the bells is dated 1600. The newel doorway is blocked up on the inside, and an entrance cut from without.
The tower window is of handsome ornamented glass, semée of is of handsome ornamented glass, semée of IHS. In the belfry is the following monitory inscription:—
Good Sirs! our meaning is not small
That, God to Praise, assemblies call;
And warn the sluggard, when at home,
That he may with devotion come
Unto the Church and joyn in prayer;
Of Absolution take his share.
Who hears the bells, appears betime,
Aud in his seat against we chime.
Therefore I’d have you not to vapour,
Nor blame ye lads that use ye clapper
By which are scared the fiends of Hell
And all by virtue of a Bell.
More about Gulval
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|