This is not a guide to places to stay, eat or drink!
This is a brief survey of the public houses, inns, taverns and hotels of West Penwith, largely taken from various editions of Pigot's 1823, 1830, 1844 and Kelly's 1873, 1883, 1893, 1919 directories. More recent entries have come from guide books and advertisements. The dates quoted are when the establishments were known to have existed.
It was rather hard to decide what to include, and some explanation of the terminology may be necessary.
- Taverns == Public Houses (pubs) were primarily for the sale and consumption of alcohol on the premesis. They would be called bars in other countries.
- Inns were public houses which also serve food and provide accommodation. Many were Post Houses which served the coaches en-route, usually with stabling for the change horses.
- Beer Houses (colloquially Kiddley Winks) were created by the 1830 beer act. They were licenced to sell beer (only) by the Customs & Excise rather than by a Magistrate's Licence which was required by traditional Taverns and Inns. They were reputed to be the haunts of smugglers and often had an unmarked bottle of spirits under the counter which could be accessed by a wink to the barman.
- Hotels were primarily for accommodation and food but may have included a bar open to non-residents. There are sub-categories commonly found: Family Hotels catered for the needs of the tourist. Commercial Hotels catered for the needs of the businessman (commercial travellers/trade representatives). Private Hotels were often intended for longer term residents (high class boarding houses). Temperance Hotels were any of the above which supported the no-alcohol, temperance movement.
- Guesthouses were small hotels operating from the home of the proprietor. Often the guest was expected to be absent during the day. There was no bar.
- Boarding houses == Lodging houses were guest houses for longer term residents - the latter did not provide meals.
- Hostels were lodging houses with minimal facilities.
- Beer Retailers == Off licences == Wine merchants were primarily for the sale of alcohol for consumption OFF the premises (hence the name), though some of the former may have been Winks trading under the licencee's name.
- Wholesalers and Importers did not sell direct to the public.
- Restaurants == Dining rooms were primarily provided meals, though the definition varied over the course of the years.
As would be expected in this volatile trade, there were many that fell into a grey area between categories, particularly between Inn, Hotel and Guesthouse and sometimes they changed their names depending on fashion and demand. In addition, many places were and are (especially today) misnamed e.g. Inns that do not have accommodation, Hotels that do not serve meals etc..
The key mark of distinction that I have used is that: Those included usually have a premises name; Those not included, traded under the name of the proprietor. Explicitly named Guesthouses are also excluded.
- St. Buryan Hotel Churchtown (may equate to one of the below). 1919 Abner Grenfell. St. Buryan Inn 2000 Terrence Lobb.
- King's Arms. 1873 James Tonkin. 1883 John Hutchens Johns. 1893 Garton & Co.
- Lamorna Cliff Hotel Lamorna Cove. 1919 Mrs. Jessie Jory.
- Lamorna Cove Private Hotel Lamorna Cove. 1963. Lamorna Cove Country House Hotel 1999 [ Website].
- Lamorna Inn Lamorna Cove (in this late C18th. building there is a smuggler's hide under the floor in front of the fireplace. Harvest festivals are held here annually. Munnings painted a picture of this inn). 1947 T. Bailey. 1963. 1978. Lamorna Wink 1999-2000.
- Ship Inn Churchtown. "The Ship is a very clean public house, we dined here on our chicken and toung" Journal of a Tour, 1795. 1873 & 1883 Humphrey Humphreys. 1893 Edwin Hutchings (see Logan Rock, St. Levan).
- Tremeneth Hotel Lamorna. 1999.
- Copper, Tin & Fish Chyandour. 1823 Wm. Weymouth. 1830 William Rowe. Copper, Tin & Fish Tavern 1844 Thomas Warren.
- Kenegie Hotel & Country Club. 1963. Kenegie Manor 1999.
- Old Inn Churchtown. 1873 & 1883 John Roberts. 1893 Richd. Geo. Allen. Ye Olde Inn 1914 John William Potter. 1919 Thomas Tresidder.
- Mead House or Meadery (Converted from a mill/factory). 1978.
- Success to Old England For Ever Chyandour. Jan 1817 Lease offered for sale formerly kept by Henry Grose but now and for some time past by John Bridgman (Douch 1966).
- Three Tuns Chyandour. 1823 Thos. Smith. 1830 Thomas Smith. 1844 William Tredren. 1856 William Izzard. Three Tuns Hotel 1873 Henry Armitage. 1883 John Rowe. Three Tuns Inn 1893 Frederick Thomas.
- Coldstreamer Inn (Commemorates Captain Michael Bolitho, killed at Oran in the second world war). 1999-2000 Malcolm Campbell Craigie.
St. Just in Penwith
- Bog Inn.
- Fire Engine. Changed its name to the Trewellard Hotel in 1898.
- Commercial Inn erected 1838, Richard Oats first landlord [West Briton 21 Dec 1838]. Henry V Commercial Hotel & Posting House Market Place. 1856 William Henry Pearce. Commercial Hotel 1873 & 1883 William Williams. 1891 & 1893 Mrs. Eliza Williams. 1919 Samuel Woolcock. 1963. 1999 ("in the Woolcock family since 1909").
- King's Arms Market Place. 1856 William Eddy. 1873, 1883, 1891 & 1893 Thomas Williams (also a farmer in 1893). 5 Market Square. 1919 Alfred Oats. King's Arms Inn 1955. 1963. King's Arms 1999-2000.
- Miner's Arms Nancherrow Terrace. 1883, 1891 & 1893 Samuel Guy. 1919 William Semmens. 9 Bank Square. 1999-2000.
- Star Inn 1 Fore Street (John Wesley stayed at this inn on his preaching tour of 1777). 1838 Richard Oats. 1856 William Hill. 1873 John Harvey. 1883 John Rowe. Star Hotel 1891 & 1893 William Bolitho Veal. 1919 William Stephens. 1955. 1963. 1978. 1999-2000.
- Wellington Hotel & Posting House Market Place. 1856 Thomas Burton. 1872 Thomas Hutchens (see The Farmer's Arms, Penzance). 1873 John Hutchens. 1883 Nicholas Hocking. Wellington Family & Commercial Hotel 1891 & 1893 Mrs. Annie Hocking. Wellington Market Square. 1919 Benjamin Eddy. 1955 H. Scott. 1963. 1999. Wellington Hotel 2000.
In the 1891 census Elizabeth Hill of Carrallack Villa, St. Just is shown as a retired Inn Keeper.
- Boscaswell Inn. 1873 Joseph Brokensha. 1883, 1891 & 1893 William Maddren/Maddern. 1919 Mrs. Mary Ann Maddern. Radjel Inn Boscaswell Terrace Willie Warren. (the name was an old nickname for the pub which means a fox's lair after an early landlord known as Fox. It changed to this name officially in about 1979 for Willie Warren's birthday). 1999-2002 Peter William Cass.
- North Inn. 1856 John Williams. 1873 William Rowe Eddy. 1883, 1891 & 1893 Edward Edwards. 1919 Ernie Dymond. 1976. 1999-2000.
- New House Truthall. 1856 James Bolitho. Queen's Arms Carrarrack. 1873 James Bolitho (see New House, St. Just). 1883 Samuel Veale. Botallack. 1891 John Hosking. 1893 James Skewes. 1976. 1999-2000.
- Sir. Humphry Davy Boscaswell Downs. 2000.
- Trewellard Hotel. 1919 Thomas Leggo White. Trewellard Arms Hotel Trewellard Road. 1999-2000.
- Badger Inn. 1999-2000.
- Bickington House. 1957. Bickington Hotel 1963.
- Bostowan Private Hotel Golf Course. 1928.
- Elm House. 1910 & 1918 Mrs. L. A. Peak.
- Enchanted Cottage Hotel. 1949 Mrs. E. Moakler. 1963.
- Hindon Hall Private Hotel. 1957 Mr. & Mrs. F. C. Smidmore.
- Lamb & Flag Canonstown. 1999.
- Lelant Hotel. 1910 T. Dunstan. 1918 & 1919 William Henry Corner. 1928. 1963.
- Links Hotel Bostowen. 1949 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. H. D. Kneebone. 1963.
- Noah's Ark. 2000.
- Old Quay House. 1947. 1963. 1999
- Praeds Arms. 1873 Mrs. Ann Hocken. 1883 Edward Rodda. 1893 Paul Roach jun.
The 1841 census has James Roach, Innkeeper, Church Lane, Lelant and Christopher Edwards, Innkeeper, Carne, Lelant.
- Atlantic Hotel. 1949, 1955 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. W. Douglas Gill. 1963.
- Boskerris Hall Hotel. 1949. & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. Calverley. 1963.
- Briardene. 1949 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. W. L. Howard (guesthouse in 1949). Howard's Hotel. 1999.
- Caerthilian Private Hotel. 1910. 1918 ("Under new management"). 1928.
- Carbis Bay Hotel. 1893 Carbis Bay Hotel Ltd. 1910. 1912. 1919 W. J. Taylor (sec.) 1928. 1949 ("established over 50 years"). 1957. 1963.
- Carrack Gladden Hotel. 1949. 1957. 1963.
- Cornish Arms. 1999 (may be the one at Trelyon listed under St. Ives)
- Four Gables Private Hotel. 1957 Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Payne. 1963.
- Gwel Marten Hotel. 1949 & 1957 Eric W. Tarran. 1963.
- Headlands Private Hotel. 1955. 1957. 1963.
- Hendra's Private Hotel (Hendra was a miner who made his fortune in the silver mines in Chile and came home to retire). 1910. 1918. 1928. 1949, 1955 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. T. Scott Brown ("estblished 1887 and in the same family continuously"). 1963. Hendra's Hotel 1999.
- Karenza Hotel. 1949 Mesdames R. Evans & K. Boss. 1957 Mrs. R. Evans. 1963.
- St. Margaret's Hotel. 1949. 1955. 1957. 1963.
- Porthrepta Hotel. 1949. 1957.
- St. Uny Hotel. 1947. 1949. 1957. 1963.
- Trenithon Private Hotel Headland Road. 1949 & 1957 E. Wilson.
- White House Hotel The Valley. 2000.
- Cable Station Porthcurno (This used to the The Exiles Club, the staff club for the Eastern Telegraph Company). 1999-2000 Sandra J. Wilby.
- Logan Rock Inn Treen (what was the brewhouse became the back bar and only the well remains (covered) in the yard). 1841 John Hutchins. 1873 Mrs. Sarah Hutchens. 1883 Edwin Hutchings (see The Ship, St. Buryan). 1893 William John. 1919 John Underhay. 1999-2000. 2002 Peter & Anita George.
- Mariner's Lodge. 2000 Philip Rashleigh & Judith Green.
- Scaw Tree (an elder tree).
- Commercial Inn Long Rock. 1873 & 1883 John Friggens. 1891 Nancy Friggens. 1893 John Friggens.
- Mexico Inn Long Rock. 1914 Percy Harvey. 1976 ("built on the site of the Mexico Mine"). 1999-2000.
- Mount View Hotel Long Rock. 1919 Augustus Uren. 2000.
- Old Inn Carvossa. 1873 & 1883 John Hosking. 1891 & 1893 James Hosking. 1904 up for sale. 1919 Thomas Troon. Lower Quarters. 1999-2000. 2002 Phil Frazer & Debbie Spurrier.
- Star Inn Crowlas. 1883 Robert Bennetts. 1891 John T. Banfield. 1893 Thomas Banfield. 1919 The freehold was up for sale in 1919 as part of the Bolton Estate. C. H. Weatherley. 1947 Cecil J. G. Green. 1999-2000.
- White Hart Inn Churchtown (originally built to house the masons building Ludgvan Church). 1841 James Dunn. 1883, 1891 & 1893 Christopher Stevens. 1919 James Gough. White Hart 1978. 1999-2000.
The 1841 census also has Charles Harper, Innkeeper, Currostowe, Ludgvan and John Hosking, Innkeeper, Lanquarth, Ludgvan.
- Prince of Wales. 1830 Benjamin Trewella.
- Five Bells. 1830 William Mawier.
- William IV Church Road (He was very popular because, during his reign in 1830, the tax was removed from beer). 1844 William Bone. King William IV 1873 Charles Hooper. 1883 J. Michell. 1891 & 1893 William Friggens (see "One and All", Penzance). 1919 Frederick W. Burch. King William IV Inn 1999-2000.
- New Mill Inn New Mill. 1873 Joseph Nute. Miners' Arms 1883 James Williams. 1891 Ellen Pengelly. 1893 William Henry Pengelly.
- Mount's Bay Inn Wherry Town. 1873, 1883 & 1893 A. Warren.
In the 1891 census, Samuel W. Hocking is shown as a retired innkeeper living at Polmennor Cottage, Madron.
- Star Inn. 1841 William Eddy. 1873 & 1883 William Mark Roberts.
- King's Arms Churchtown (originally built to house the masons building Paul Church). 1873 N. Levett. 1883 John Hutchens Johns. 1893 Mrs. Ruth Levett. 1919 James Williams. 1978. King's Arms Inn 1999.
- Keigwin Arms (reputed to have be the only house left standing after the Spaniards raided Mousehole in 1595. Jenkin Keigwin was killed on the porch step. Attempts were made to close it in 1874 but were resisted on the grounds that it would create a monopoly for The Ship). 1800 John Wills "died aged 89, who kept an inn in the ancient manor of the Keigwins; which he had purchased from a motif of respect to that family, when it was sold with the rest of the property by the uncle of the present gentleman of that name. A motive so singular can only be ascribed to an attachment formed by his living in the capacity of a servant in that family from his childhood, which he was proud to relate, with many anecdotes respecting his old masters" (Douch 1966). 1883 Mrs. Elizabeth Warren. 1893 John Bennetts. (gone as a pub by 1978)
- Lobster Pot Hotel & Restaurant South Cliff. 1963. 1999-2000 A. B. Mansfield.
- Old Coastguard Hotel. 1963. 1976 ("was previously the coastguards headquarters"). 1999. [ Website]
- Shangri-La Hotel. 1963.
- Ship Hotel (A C17th. building rebuilt after the Spanish raid. A painting of it by Stanhope-Forbes hangs in the Royal Academy.). 1883 & 1893 Benjamin Pierce/Pearce. 1919 John Williams. Ship Inn 1976. 1978. 1981 Charles Greenhaugh - he was lost in the Mousehole lifeboat disaster. 1999-2000 Daniel Wilfred Kenneth Adams & Kenneth Raymond Ascott.
- Antoine Hotel. 1963.
- Chypons Hotel. 1963.
- Dolphin Jack Lane. 1830 Richard Symons. 1844 William Symons. Dolphin Inn 1873 & 1883 Henry James. 1893 William Wearne. 1919 Mrs. Catherine Lawry. Fore Street. 1999-2000
- Fisherman's Arms Fore Street (A C17th. building which was (and probably still is) the haunt of the Newlyn fishermen). 1811. 1830 Edw. Stephens. 1844 John Elliott. 1873 Mrs. A. Tonkin. 1883 & 1893 Samuel Payne. 1919 Mrs. Mabel Armstrong. 1978. 1999-2000.
- Higher Faugan Hotel. 1999.
- Navy Inn. 1830 Mary Dillon Paddy. 1844 John Tonkin.
- Prince Regent. 1830 William Paddy.
- Red Lion Fore Street. 1830 Francis Carter. 1844 Jane Carter. 1873 Miss. L. Julia Ladner. 1883 Christopher Bennett. 1893 Mrs. Julia Stibbs. Red Lion Inn 1999-2000.
- Star Inn Wharf. 1830 John Richards. Star 1844 George Downing. 1883 John Sullivan. Star Inn 1893 John Lesson Hayter. 1919 Thomas Chinn. 1999-2000.
- Swordfish Inn The Strand. 1999-2000 Elizabeth Madin & Maurice Symons.
- Three Tuns Fore Street. 1830 Mary Weymouth. 1883 Mrs. Martha Dusting. 1893 William Henry Trehair (also Grocer).
- Tolcarne Inn. 1844 John Adams. 1883, 1891 & 1893 James Trevaski(e)s. 1919 James Bray. Tolcarne Place. 1999-2000 [ Website].
- Union Inn Street-an-Nowen. 1830 Jane Downing. 1883 Mrs. Cath. Marrack. 1893 George Pool & Son (see also While Lion, Penzance). 1919 Mrs. Elizabeth Roberts.
- Bird in Hand Churchtown. 1841 Maria Nicholas. 1873 Matthew Mitchell.
- Fountain Inn New Bridge. 1891 & 1893 Thomas Harry. 1919 John Haycocks. 1999-2000.
- New Bridge Inn (possibly same as above). 1841 Bosvenning Catherine Wroath. 1873 Thomas Bennetts. 1883 John Thomas Matthews.
- First & Last Inn Churchtown (originally built to house the masons building Sennan Church. At one time there was a brewhouse at the rear). 1841 Richard Bothnas[?]. 1873 Edwin Toman. 1883 & 1893 Joseph Henry Richards. 1919 Thomas Tonkin. 1928. 1963. 1978. 1999.
- Land's End Hotel. 1873 Thomas Toman. 1883 Henry Thos. Toman. 1893 Thomas Hutchens Toman. 1912 & 1919 Benjamin Trahair. 1928. 1963. 1999.
- Penwith House Temperance Hotel Land's End. 1919 William Thomas. Penwith Temperance Hotel 1928. Penwith Hotel 1963.
- Sennen Cove Private Hotel. 1919 F. Avery (Mgr.) 1928. Sennen Cove Hotel 1963.
- Ship Sennen Cove (said to date from 1691, David Farquarson painted this inn in 1904 "Full Moon and Spring Tide", a copy of which hangs in the bar). It is named after a pilchard boat owned by the Seine Net Company). Success Inn 1841, 1883 & 1893 Matthew George (also described as farmer in 1893). 1904 & 1919 William Henry Pender. Whitesands Hotel early C20th. Old Success Inn 1963. 1978. 1999-2002. [ Website]
- Wrecker's Inn. 1999-2000.
- (Fire) Engine Inn Cripple's Ease. This was probably originally called “The Cripple’s Ease” and the place named after it. It meant rest for the weary traveller rather than any physical infirmity. Another suggestion is that name applies to a wink in the house at the crossroads, being at the top of a steep hill. This is supported by the surviving house being called the “Fire Engine Inn” which would tend to date it to Newcomen’s time, early C18th. 1873 Robert Curnow. 1883, 1891 & 1893 John Curnow. 1900 reputed to have been in the same family for 100 years. 1919 Andrew Curnow. 1999-2000, 2008 Ron E. Stringer. [ Website]
- Miner's Arms Nancledra. Closed in 1926 Sarah Vivian.
- New Inn Churchtown This inn was very old and reputedly predated the church. It may have been a mason's hostelry for the church building. 1873 & 1883 Hugh Dunstan. Lost its licence in 1909.
The 1841 census has Margret Curnow, Publican, Weal Carn, Towednack.
- Gurnard's Arms Hotel Trereen or Treen. 1873 & 1883 Thomas Eddy. Gurnard's Head Hotel 1891 & 1893 Richard Berryman. 1919 Thomas Bater. Gurnard's Head 1963. 1999. 2000 Ray & Joy Kell. [ Website]
- Tinners Arms Churchtown (originally built to house the masons building Zennor Church in 1271. It had a famous oil painted sign of the Zennor Mermaid by John Barclay which was stolen by students). 1841 & 1856 William Berriman. 1883 John Berriman. 1886, 1891 & 1893 William Nankervis (in 1886 the landlord escaped with a light fine when he excused his late opening hours by pleading that he went by the local church clock time and not G. M. T.) 1919 Tom Dixon. 1978. 1999-2000.