This is not a guide to places to stay, eat or
A feature of St. Ives is the large number of small hotels and
guest houses. I have tried to include only those which can be
classified as hotels but on occasion they have been impossible to
- Beaumont Private Hotel Albany
Terrace. 1949, 1954 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. F. S. Lipman
(guesthouse in 1949).
- Bedouin Club (near) Connaught Villas,
17 Chapel Street Originally Jimmy Couch’s
Engineering works. Andrew Piccolo. Grub Pub
1997? Three Ferrets . 2000.
- Beggars’s Roost Skidden
Hill. Doss house.
- Beggars’s Roost The Digey in the
alley leading to Hick’s Court. In a loft, access by
outside stone stairs.
- Belyar’s Croft. 1954 & 1957 Mr.
& Mrs. R. G. Harris.
- Betsey Chilloff’s Green Court
near the Post Office. Beer shop. Named because the Betsey
who kept the establishment asked her customers if they would
like a drop of spirits added to their beer “to take the
- Beverley Talland Road. 1957 Mrs.
T. H. Whitford.
- Blue Anchor Fore Street. 1823
- Blue Bell St. Andrew Street. 1873
Martha Quick. Old Blue Bell. Hans Breton, the
Dutch smuggler used this as his headquarters. 1958 not a
- Brig-y-Don Harbour Front. 1957
Mr. H. E. Seaman.
- Britannia Fore Street (opposite John
- Bueno Vidio 11 Pednolver Terrace.
1957 Mrs. H. Bassett.
- Caerthillion. 1918 Mrs. Summerhayes.
- Captain Sampson’s Skidden
Hill. Beer shop.
- Castle 16 Fore Street. (this had
a brewhouse at the rear which later became a depot for the
Redruth Brewery). 1831, 1844 Samuel May (see Golden Lion &
Union Inn). 1862. 1873 Miss Matilda Wearne. Castle
Inn 1881 John Richards & Grace Care. 1883 John
Reynolds. 1893 John Davies. 1999–2000 Andrea Louisa
- Channings Private Hotel Talland
Road. 1957 Mrs. Johnson & Mrs. Leeth.
- Chy-an-Albany Hotel. Converted to an hotel
in the 1940’s. 1949, 1954 & 1957 G. Howard Kistler
("same management since 1922"). 1963. [Website]
- Chy-an-Drea Hotel The Terrace.
1910. 1918 & 1919 Mrs. Frances Wheeler. Chy-an-Drea
Residential Hotel 1926–28 Mrs. F. C. Wheeler
(see Queen’s Hotel). 1949, 1954 & 1957 M. T. R. &
G. N. Pearce (Dir.). 1963.
- Chy-an-Drea Private Residential Hotel
Albany. 1918 Miss Snook (there seem to have been two
hotels of this name in 1918).
- Chy-an-Dour Hotel. 1949. 1954. 1957.
- Chy-an-Eglos St. Andrew’s
Street. 1957 Mr. & Mrs. Elliott.
- Chy-an-Meor Westward Road,
Porthmeor. 1957 Mrs. K. Rowe.
- Chy-Carne Hotel Bishop’s Road,
The Belyers. 1949, 1954 & 1957 Mr. W. F. Watson
("Established 1930"). 1963.
- Chy-Morvah Private Hotel. 1949 Eric E. A.
Blower. 1954 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. C. F. Hosking. 1963.
- Commercial Fore Street. 1823 H.
Sampson. 1830 & 1844 Mary Roach.
- Corfu Private Hotel. 1928 Mrs. S.
- Crown & Anchor Skidden Hill.
1831, 1844 Betsy Sampson.
- Crown & Sceptre Cliffe. (home
of the “Atlantic Smugglers” organised by John Knill
& Squire Praed). Also known as the Crown and
Anchor and Quay House
- Curnow’s Hotel & Restaurant
Tregenna Place. 1928 C. W. Curnow. 1947. 1949 &
1954 ("Same family for 40 years"). 1955. 1957. 1963.
Master Roberts 1978 James Roberts.
Isobar. 1999–2000 Richard Crawford &
Jane Victoria Boon and Vera Mary Rowe [Website].
- Dolphin Chy-an-Chy. 1823 Mary
Williams. 1830 Nicholas Carbin. 1855 Capt. James Bailey
(possibly the person after whom Bailey’s Lane is named).
Wharf 1873 Alfred Quick. 1881 Hannah Quick. Lost its
licence in 1882.
- Duke of York Fore Street (High
Street), later Lloyd’s Bank. 1823 T. Harry. 1830
Nicholas Richards. 1831 William Mitchell.
- St. Eia Hotel Sea Front. 1949,
1954 Mr. & Mrs. G. N. Pearce (see also Chy-an Drea). 1957
Mr. & Mrs. D. Young (Mgr.) 1963.
- Exchange Fore Street (corner of Court
- Garrack Hotel Higher Ayr. 1949.
1954. 1957. 1963. Burthallan Lane. 1965— Kilby
- George & Dragon West side of
Market Place facing the church. “The principal
tavern in the town during the latter part of the 18th century
was the George and Dragon … The ‘George’,
moreover, was known for a respectable, high-class
church-and-state establishment. ‘with no nonsense about
it’. It’s patrons (all respectable men with no
nonsense about them) often asserted that the George was not a
‘drinking house’ and, as the times went, this
character was tolerably accurate. Its landlords has always been
men of some standing in the town, borough-constables,
churchwardens, aldermen and mayors … an institution
little inferior, in the public’s estimation, to the
parish church, or the justice room over the Market
1892) 1757 extensively remodelled. St.
George 1793–98 John Couch. 1823 John Hodges.
1830 Cathrne. Hodge. 1831, 1844 Stephen Curnow. 1873, 1881
& 1883 Mrs. Alice Rowe. Demolished 1887.
- Globe or Tap House Fore Street
(Former house of the Edwards Family, a different establishment
to the entry following. It could be the same site as the Red
- Globe Wharf. 1823 Robt. Doble.
1830 Charles Jenkyn. Being in the channel which separates the
island from the main part of the town, the ground floor
actually lies below sea level. In front of this house is
Doble’s Wall, erected by the publican to keep out the
sea. It became a favorite place for the old salts to sit, smoke
a pipe and discuss the events of the day. The wall remains, but
a little lower and with a gap cut in it.
- Golden Lion East side of Market Place
(High Street). 1793–98 Nathaniel Roe. 1823 M.
Chellew and/or Sam. May (two entries—see Castle &
Union Inn). 1830, 1831 & 1844 Edward John. 1873 Thomas
Williams. 1881 John Reynolds (also Stonemason). 1883, 1891
& 1893 William Hollow. Rebuilt about 1899. 1919 (William)
Ernest Lawrence Shipman on behalf of the Anglo Brewing Co.
1999–2000 J. Stevens.
- Grub Pub. 1978.
- Halsetown Hotel. 1856. 1873, 1881 &
1883 Richard Bamfield/Banfield. 1891 John Cargeege[?]. 1893
Mrs. Wilmot Hoskin. 1919 Thomas Humphries. Halsetown
- Homeleigh Private Hotel Pednolver
Terrace. 1949, 1954 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. C. L. Hazel.
The Hotel Fore Street. 1831 Francis
Holman. 1838 Michael Baragwanath. Queen’s Family
& Commercial Hotel. 1864 Mark S. Vial.
Queen’s Hotel High Street.
1869, 1873, 1881, 1883, 1891, 1893 & 1896 Em(m)anuel
Keskeys. 1910 F. C. Wheeler (see Chy-an-Drea). 1918. 1919 Mrs.
May Elizabeth Pearce. 1928. 1955 Edward Rogers, Margaret &
Fred Dunston (went to Padstow). 1957. Queen’s
Tavern 1999–2000. A sign above this house in
early photographs suggests that it may have once been the
- St. Ives Hotel High Street. 1823
Mich. Baragwanath. 1830 Matthew Bennett. 1844 Elizabeth
- St. Ives Bay Hotel The Terrace.
1928. 1949. 1950. 1954. 1957. 1963.
- Jan Daniel’s Skidden Hill.
- King’s Arms North-west corner of
Market Place. 1793–98 Couch. 1811 Peter Langford.
1823, 1830, 1831 & 1844 Mary Morton.
- Labour in Vain Victoria Hill (near the
top) (the inn sign depicted a woman trying to wash a black
- Lewth Private Hotel The Belyers.
1949, 1954 & 1957 Mrs. D. M. Uren.
- Lifeboat Inn Wharf (this building
used to be an auction room). 1978. 1999–2000 Brian
Kenneth Terry & Kenneth Raymond Ascott.
- Lyonesse Private Hotel Talland
Road. 1949. 1955. 1954 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. F.
- Merryn Rock Private Hotel. 1957.
- Nook Ayr 1949, 1954 & 1959
Mrs. M. Stevens. 2003 [Website].
- Old Vicarage Hotel
Parc-an-Creet formerly the Halsetown Vicarage,
architect James P. St. Aubyn. 1970— Jack & Dianne
Sykes. [Website which has more detailed historical
- One and All Trelyon. 1856 John
Glasson. Cornish Arms. 1873, 1881, 1883 &
1893 Jakeh Glasson. 1896. 1919 John William Gilbert. 2000.
- Pedn Olva Hotel. 1926 Mrs. Morton Roach.
1949 Mrs. M. I. V. Mason (Mgr.) 1954 & 1957 Mrs. M. I. V.
Mason & Son. 1963.
- Pelican. 1806.
- (Penbeagle) Croft. 2000.
- Penwyn Private Hotel The Terrace.
1949 The Misses Nicholls & Pearce.
Penwyn1957 The Misses Nicholls (possibly
- Porthmeor Guest House Draycott
Terrace 1938 Irene Rousefield (on lease from Harry
Rogers). 1951 lesee now Irene Rouncefield and Mrs. W.
Proudfoot. 1967 Freehold sold to Captain Dennis Proudfoot.
Porthminster View 1976 Daisy Beaumont. 1981
Trevor and Margaret Williams. 1998— Christine & David
Hodge [Website which has more detailed historical
- Porthminster Hotel. 1896 S. E. Bayzand
(Mgr.) 1910. 1918. 1919 Miss Amy Hay (Mgr.) 1928. 1949. 1954.
1957. 1963. 2000 [Website].
- Porthvail Hotel Primrose Valley.
1949, 1954 & 1957 Mrs. I. Ashton. 1963.
- Pump and Sundial Fore Street (the
sign consisted of a real pump and sundial). Albert
Inn 1890 & 1891 Capt. Samuel Roach. Also known at
various times as Wicketts and
- Red Lion Corner of St.
Andrew’s Street. “In May 1770, however, a
house ‘calculated for making the best tavern in the
county’ was to let. This had been Mr. Edwards’
house, near the market; it had three good parlours, twelve
lodging-rooms hung with bells and two beer and wine cellars.
The name of The Red Lion appear in
St. Ives at the same time; for twenty years it was kept by
Michael Cock; when he gave it up in November 1798 ‘this
inn, the situation and accomodation of which are very superior
to any other in the town, is commonly used by the gentlemen
travelers and others resorting to it and is well calculated to
command the whole of that and and extensive business.’
” (Douch 1966).
1793–98 Michael Cook. 1801 Joseph Hocking. 1830 Charles
Short. 1831, 1844 George Wasley (see The
Sloop). 1890 “A white cow entered and drank a glass
of brown ale”. 1898 Burned down after having been a
dwelling house for a few years.
- Regent Hotel. Converted from a former sea
captain’s house in 1926 (architect Frank Nicholls). The
hotel was the meeting place of St Ives Rotary Club until 1939.
During the war the hotel was first of all the co-ordinating
centre for the coastal gunnery around the Western Approaches.
Later to be taken over by the American General Omar Bradley for
his G.H.Q and over the door the sign read 134th U.S. Infantry
and a large curved sign board over the main entrance door
proclaimed All Hell Can’t Stop Us. 1947 (“under new
management”). Mr. & Mrs. H. P. S. Murray 1949. Mr.
& Mrs. S. H. Stott 1954 & 1957. 1963. Keith &
Sandra Varnals 2003 (“in the family for some 30
- The Restaurant Tregenna Place.
1896 Miss Kevern.
- Royal Exchange. 1874 Landlord fined for
selling tobacco without a licence.
- Ship. before 1774 Samuel Hicks. “In
July of that year it was described as the most commodious and
best accustomed inn in the town, from which Hicks had retired
with an affluent fortune. The name apparently disappears from
the list of inns then.” (Douch 1966).
- Ship-a-Ground Wharf. 1823, 1830,
1831 James Daniel. Also known as the Sloop on the
- Shipwright’s Arms Chanchy.
1823 Rd. Jennings.
- Shire Horse Inn Towednack Road,
- Sloop Wharf [Picture] (originally the town
residence of the Williams family, this is said to be the second
oldest pub site in Cornwall, dating from 1312. The present
building may date from the early C17th but the 1645
date stone was not part of the original structure. It was the
headquarters of the marine commandos in the 2nd. W.W. where the
disasterous Dieppe raid was planned). 1823 Mary Williams. 1830
Vivian Stephen Williams. 1831 William Roach. 1844 John Trench.
1873, 1881, 1883 & 1891 George Wasley (see the Red Lion). 1893 Mrs. Elizabeth Harris
Baragwanath. She was daughter of George Wasley. Sloop
Inn 1919 Samuel Rogers. 1955 Philip Rogers. 1976
("dates from the C14th). 1978. 1999–2000 Harry
Maurice & Sue Anne Symons.
- Star Fore Street (there is
evidence that there was a brewhouse in the stables at the
rear). 1806 John Martin. 1823 Elizabeth Martyn. 1830 Thomas
Row. 1831 Thomas Richards. 1844 Joshua Eva St. Andrew
Street (adjoining the Red Lion Inn). 1873 Mrs. Ann
Glasson. 1881 Richard Paynter. 1883 William Paynter.
1891–93 Richard Paynter.
- Temperance Hotel Tregenna Place.
1831 John Penberthy. 1873 Richard Quick. 1881 & 1891 Grace
Quick. St. Ives Commercial Hotel. 1910 C. H.
- Trecarrell Private Hotel. 1949, 1954 &
1957 Mr. & Mrs. S. W. Sleigh.
- Tregenna Castle Hotel (this was originally
the home of the Stephens family). 1876 “recently
opened.” 1881 Elizabeth Anning (Mgr.) 1883 William D.
Hughes (Mgr.) 1891–93 Mrs. Annie Hughes (Mgr.) 1919 Miss
Wright (Mgr.) 1928. 1949 British Transport. 1963. 1999—
now partly time-share apartments [Website].
- Trelawney Private Hotel Draycott
Terrace. 1918 Mrs. Loveday Uren. 1928. Trelawney
Hotel 1949. 1954. 1957. 1963.
- Trelissick Hotel Talland Road.
1954 Mrs. M. A. C. Turner. 1957 Mr. & Mrs. N. A.
- Treloyan Manor. 1947.
- Trevessa Private & Residential Hotel.
1910 & 1918 Miss M. H. Newton. Trevessa Private
Hotel Primrose Valley. 1928. Hotel
Trevessa 1949 Mr. & Mrs. C. C. Barry. 1954.
- Tyringham Arms Lelant Road,
Trevarick (this inn used to be a school). 1978. 1999.
- Union Inn Fore Street. 1830
Samuel May (see Golden Lion & Castle). 1831 John Johns.
1844 Joseph Johns. 1873 Mrs. Mary Johns. 1881 William Glasson.
1883 William Barber. 1891 & 1893 Mrs. Mary Ann Barber. 1919
William Griffiths. 1999–2000 Henry Maurice Symons &
Michael Edwin Matthews.
- Victory Fore Street (corner of the
Digey) (formerly the home of the Stephens family). 1823
& 1830 John Richards. 1831 John Jennings.
- Wheaten Sheaf later Sheaf of
Wheat Stennack Street opposite the Wesleyan
Chapel (There was a brewhouse here but it was lost in the
rebuilding of 1970). 1831 Elizabeth Faull. 1844 Henry Roach.
Chapel Street. 1873 William Nichols Rogers. 1881,
1883, 1891 & 1893 Henry Hosking. 1919 Mrs. Grace Job. 1978.
2000 Eric Dudley Bloxam & Kenneth Raymond Ascott.
- White Hart 8, Wharf. 1830 George
Richards. 1831, 1844 Charles Richards. 1873 George Richards
(also a brewer). 1881 & 1883 Mrs. Elizabeth Richards. 1891
William Curnow. 1893 William Yeates. 1896 W. E. Benney.
Horse Gabriel Street (originally the town
residence of the Banfield family). Before 1858. (Royal)
Western Hotel 1864 & 1873 Richard Hodge. 1881
& 1883 Mrs. Louisa Hodge. 1891, 1893, 1910, 1918, 1919
& 1926 John Henry Tremayne. 1928. 1947 & 1949 D. D.
Berry. 1954. 1955. 1957. 1963. 1978. 1999–2000 Alan
- Williams’ Tavern St.
- Woodside The Belyars. 1957 Mr.
& Mrs. D. L. Clixby.
- York House. 1910 Misses Wade. 1918 Misses
Knapp ("Boarding establishment"). 1926 Mr. & Mrs. E. C.
Garbutt & Miss Knapp. York Hotel 1949,
1954 & 1957 Mr. & Mrs. G. R. C. Lomax. 1963.
In addition, the following are included in the 1793–1798
Universal British Directory without premises names either as
innkeepers, taverners or victualers :— Bennet, George
Chewley, Martin, Andrew Stephens, Martha Stephens &