The bulk of the following description is lifted directly from [Polsue 1868]. It must be read in the context of that date. Note that Penzance is the subject of a separate chapter. Other extracts are available online.
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|
More about Madron
THE parish of Madron or S. Madron, is situated in the deanery of Penwith, and in the western division of the hundred of Penwith; it is in two parts,—the larger is bounded on the north by Gulval; on the east by the borough of Penzance and the sea; on the south by Paul and Sancreed; and on the west by Morvah. The lesser or detatched portion is bounded on the east, south, and west sides by Gulval, and on the north by Zennor.
The benefice is a vicarage in the patronage of the present incumbent, the Rev. M. N. Peters.
The estimated tithable lands cf the pariah amounted to 5940 acres; Which is subdivided into arable land 1180A.; pasture 2260A.; woodland 60A.; and common lands, downs, and crofts 2440A.
The tithes were commuted in 1841 at £1091 10s. and are apportioned thus:—
|To the vicar||£660 0 0||or to their representatives.|
|To the Rev. C. V. Le Grice||418 0 0|
|To the Rev. James Blencowe and Dame Ellen Riggs Miller||9 10 0|
|To Sir John St. Aubyn Bart||4 0 0|
The parish contains by an actual measurement 5475A. 2R. 18P.; of which the glebe measures 1R. 7P.; the church and churchyard 2R. 22P.; and roads and wastes 80A. 3R. 28P.
Thomas de Chimelly. In the Charter-Rolls in the Tower will be found a charter of King John, dated June 1. 1203, granting Ecclesiam Sci Maderni de Rydwori, to Thomas de Chimelly for life. There is also a record dated March 9, 1203, which says that it had been determined by the oath of twelve men of the neighbourhood of Runery, in Cornwall, that the church Sci Maderi de Runeri, about which there had been a dispute between the King and Knights Hospitallers, belonged to the latter, having been given them by the predecessor of the then Henry de Pomeroy, and the King therefore declared that the rights of the Knights of S. John should not be disputed after the death of Thomas de Chimelly, because Thomas had been admitted to that church on the King’s presentation, at a time when the land of Runeri and other lands of Henry de Pomeroy were in the King’s hands.
Gyrardus occurs Rector Ecclesæ S. Maderni, Sept. 8, 1276. He was probably somewhat aged as Bishop Bronescombe testified “that he was capable of discharging the duty of residence” Probably on his death the appropriation of this church to the Knight’s Hospitallers of S. John of Jerusalem, Clerkenwell, London, took effect.
John de Metingham was admitted by Bishop Bronescombe June 5, 1278, vicar ad ecclesiam Sci Maderni in Cornubia ad presentationem fratris Josep de Chauncy, Prioris Hospitalis Jerusalem, in Angliâ.
Nicholas Arthur de Tyntagel, instituted Nov. 3, 1309 on the presentation of prior William de Tottahale. This vicar was to be allowed all the glebe with its manse thereon, and all the small tithes of the parish, excepta decima Piscaria; but was under an engagement to afford lodging to the prior, or his brethren, or procurator, when they visited the parish, but who were maintained at their own costs. This arrangement proving inconvenient to the vicar, it was agreed, July 1, 1336, with the prior Philip de Tame, that an angle of the glebe of sixty-two feet square and looking to the south and West, should be given up, Pro horreo et alias necessariis domibus construendis cum libero ingressu et egressu ad portam suam, ac ducendi temporibus debitis Bigam vel plaustrum facultate.
About this time, namely 1338, the great tithes of this parish were valued at 44 marks, equal to £29 6. 8. and the glebe at 9d. per annum.
William of York, whose institution is not recorded, but who exchanged for the rectory of Redruth with
Stephen de Reswalstes, on Sept. 20, 1344. Patron, prior Philip de Thame. On whose resignation
Ralph Boskastel succeeded June 16, 1349. Patron, as before. On whose resignation
Henry Redon was admitted July 31, 1363. Patron, prior John Pavely.
Roger Miledert, whose institution does not appear, but on whose death
Laurence Trewythgy succeeded Feb. 7, 1391, on the presentation of prior Hildebrand Juge. (This Prior was unknown to the editors of the Monasticon Anglicanum)
John Burdet,—but on whose resignation,
Richard Acton alias Bechammp was admitted Sept. 1430. He exchanged for S. Matthew’s church “Friday-strete, Civitatis Londoniensis,” with its rector
Ralph Drew July 11, 1440. who was duly instituted August 11. Patron, prior William Halls.
Robert Paschow,—but on whose death
Benedict Trengoff was admitted Nov. 16, 1498. patron, prior John Kendall. On whose death
John Jackes succeeded Nov. 19, 1534. Patron, pro hâc vice, John Arundell, Esq., of Trerice, by grant of the prior and his brethren. On the death of this vicar,
Thomas Mabbiston, LL.D., on March 22, 1536. Patron, the prior. This vicar resigned on a pension from the living of £l6 13s. 4d. The living was then rated at £50 per annum.
John Sandre succeeded Oct. 2, 1540. Patron, hâc vice Robert de Althorpe, gent., county Lincoln, by the grant of Richard Layton, archdeacon of Bucks, who had acquired the right of the next presentation from the prior by deed dated May 30, 1536.
Edmund Pouter a student at Oxford, was admitted by Wm. Alley, bishop of Exeter, ad vicariam legitimé vacantem, Feb. 18, 1567. Patron, queen Elizabeth.
Anthony Whitrowe admitted by bishop Bradbrige, ad vicarium Sci Madderni, cum capella de Morvah. Patron, queen Elizabeth
Ralph Harbarte succeeded Jany. 14, 1593–4. Patron, queen Elizabeth.
George Hutchins, M.A., Dec. 17, 1601.
John Kite,—according to the register he was buried Oct. 19, 1648.
Symon Land or Law. “He was likewise Robb’d of his Horse, which at that time was his All, and threatened with Imprisonment; which oblige’d him to Confine himself to his own House. He had no other Title than that of the Times; because he came not to this Living till 1647. I think be lived to be Restored.” Walker’s Sufferings. He ceded the living in 1662, when
Reginald Trenayl succeeded Oct. 22, 1662, “to S. Maddern, With its annexed chapels of Penzance and Morvah, on the presentation of John Cowling, gent. of Trengwainton.” This vicar signed the terrier April 19, 1680. On whose death
Thomas Rowe, March 16, 1700, was admitted on the presentation of Faith Rowe, widow and executrix of Thomas Rowe, of Breage. Died August 28, 1716.
George Williams, April 17, 1717. Patron, Thomas Fleming, gent.
Walter Borlase, LL.B., instituted Sept. 27, 1720. Patron, John Borlase, Esq.
William Borlase succeeded July 19, 1776. Patrons, Henry Penneck and Joseph Hankey, trustees and devisees of the will of Walter Borlase. At this time the reputed value of the benefice, including the chapel of Penzance, and Morvah, was £200. On the death of this vicar
William Tremenheere was admitted Nov. 5, 1812. Patron, Henry Penneck, M.D., of Penzance. On this vicar’s death the Rev. Michael-Nowell Peters, the present vicar, was admitted on his own petition Sept. 25, 1839.
The registers commence with the year 1577, and are tolerably kept for the first hundred years, when confusions and interruptions prevailed until 1700.
After collating several authorities Dr. Oliver concluded that this church derived its name from S. Paternus, who died bishop of Avranches, in the middle of the sixteenth [???] century, and that it was appropriated to the Knights Hospitallers of S. John of Jerusalem, Clerkenwell, London, by Sir Henry de la Pomerai in the reign of Henry III, circa 1265, “for the health and salvation of his own soul, that of his lord the King, and the souls of his father, mother, brother, sisters, progenitors, and successors.”
John de Grandisson, bishop of Exeter, consecrated the high altar of this church July 10, 1336; and Edward Lacey, bishop of Exeter, licensed the chapel of S. Bridget “infra parochiam Sancti Maderni alias Sancti Paterni,” October 28; 1437.
The church consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. In the south wall of the chancel are a sedile and piscina under a continuous hood-mould, The chancel window is filled with stained glass, the subject being Christ bearing the cross. The Pulpit has a sound board, on which is carved—“Blessed are they which hear the word of God and keep it. Thos. Rowe, Vicar.”
In the nave are three funeral hatchments,—one charged with the arms of Borlase, the others with the arms of Price. On a pew belonging to the Trengwainton estate are carved the arms of Henry VIII.
The arcades have each six arches,—those of the north arcade are four-centred; those of the south are pointed; the material of both arcades and pillars is Caen stone.
The east window of the south aisle is of ornamented glass and bears the arms of the donors of it,—Peters, Borlase, Le Grice, Tremenheere, and Scobell. A south window in the same aisle, of ornamented glass, is inscribed,—”In memoriam. Henrici Pendarves Tremenheere, constantis pii desiderati, Qui obiit 26 die Feb. A.D. 1841; Ætatis suæ 66.“The next window represents the Resurrection; attached to it is a brass inscribed;—“Erected by Wilmot Robyns in memory of her husband, Major General Robyns, K.H. died March 22nd, 1837; aged 77.” Another south window of stained glass represents the Ascension. The west window of the same aisle is filled with ornamented glass. Near the East end of the south wall is an ambric.
In the north aisle are two funeral hatchments one for Armstrong and the other for Peyton. The east window of this aisle, and one of the north ones are filled with ornamented glass. The stained glass of the west window, the gift of the Rev. M. N. Peters, represents the Crucifixion.
The font is of Norman character; it consists of a square bowl, with one of the sides slightly panneled, resting on a round shaft and four small pillars eleven inches in height; the plinth is a rough, circular block of granite.
The tower arch is perfectly plain; and the west or tower window is filled with ornamented glass.
There is a south porch, a north door, and a blocked priest’s door.
The tower is of two stages, the second stage resting on a corbel table; it is finished with battlements and pinnacles, and contains five bells.
More about Madron
|First Page||Previous Page||Next Page|