I can help with all resources marked , copyright permitting.
This gazetteer is an ongoing project which is being compiled as the detailed parish maps are drawn. Hence it is limited to those parishes which have been mapped, currently St. Buryan, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, Morvah, Sennen and Zennor. A few others have been provided by Geoff McKee and from the mines books.
The place names emphasised thus are not found on the modern 1:25,000 maps. In these cases, where the map reference is missing, I have not yet located the place. They are mainly from [Pool, 1985].
Those marked * were not found in [Pool, 1985] so could be modern names.
A new initiative (Sept 2005) by Chris Bond is An Index to the Historical Place Names of Cornwall which is still in its early stages but already a valuable source. He describes his vision as
“intended to be very comprehensive, with names throughout written history for the whole of Cornwall, including tenements, field names from tithe apportionments, OS maps from 1st edition 6 inch to current 2.5 inch, all of Symons, parts of Pool, Padel, Gover etc, as well as names from publications by Blight, Borlase, Redding etc. Also journals and most of the place names that I find at the Record Office, where I have discovered many hundreds already which are previously unrecorded elsewhere. All of the entries will be fully referenced.
“It is hoped that I'll be able to correlate all of the different sources to create a relatively complete list of all variations throughout recorded history, or at least as complete as can be expected to be achieved.”
- Heard, John. The gazetteer of the county of Cornwall; Truro: 1817. Republished with introduction by Gillian Thompson; CFHS, Truro: 1996. ISBN 0-9527927-0-2
- Lewis, Samuel; The topographical dictionary of England; London: 1831. Facsimile on CDROM (6 volumes); Archive CD Books, Cinderford, Glos: 2000) The descriptions of each parish have been extracted and placed on this site—see the relevent parish pages.
- Pigot (pub.) A pocket topography and gazetteer of England with historical and statistical descriptions … (Volume 1); Pigot, London: c1841. This is essentially the descriptive parts of the publisher’s directories packaged into two small volumes. Volume 1 is the south of England. Facsimile incorrectly dated 1831 on CDROM; Archive CD Books, Cinderford, Glos: 2002. Extracts are transcribed on this site.
- Pool, P. A. S. An introduction to Cornish place names; The author, Penzance: 1969.
- ———The place names of West Penwith; 1st. ed. Federation of Old Cornwall Societies: 1973. 2nd. ed. (enlarged) The author, Penzance: 1985.
- ———The field names of West Penwith; The author, Hayle: 1990.
- Stoate, T. L. Cornwall Gazetteer; Harry Galloway, Weston-super-Mare: 1996. ISBN 1-873931-71-9. Microfiche edition available from Bernard D. Welchman. This is little more than a list of place names.
- Symons, R. & Symons, Brenton. A geographical dictionary or gazetteer of the county of Cornwall; F. Rodda, Penzance: 1884. £110 Facsimile on microfiche; Harry Galloway, Weston-super-Mare: 1996. ISBN 1-873931-73-5 available from Bernard D. Welchman. Facsimile on CD-ROM by Cornish Roots, Redruth: 2001. £20
|Amyll(e) an Tryll(e)||Towednack/Zennor|
|Boscawen-noon (or -Un)||419276||Buryan|
|Brea (Bree, Bray)||379280||Just|
Not found on the modern 1:25,000 maps.
* Not found in [Pool, 1985]